Significant damage to item

Hi guys,

I recently bought a cabinet and bookshelf from the same seller. My partner picked up the items, and asked me if there was meant to be damage (once he got home). When I saw them the next day, I was shocked. The cabinet had a large crack on the top of it, and the doors had been removed; one door was warped and discoloured (to the extent that it didn't even fit the cabinet properly, and was a much lighter brown).The bookshelf also had a large crack running across it, but this was less of a big deal, as you won't be able to see the damage once there are books on there.

I contacted the seller asking about the damage, as there was no mention of it in the description or picture. He said that I should have said something on pickup. I explained that I didn't pick it up, so I didn't see the damage. I also requested a partial refund for the cabinet (only requested $15, as I paid $27 for it), given the amount of damage. He said he would rather that I returned the cabinet.

However, I had to hire a ute to pick up the items, which cost me $30, and I don't think it is worth doing so again to return the cabinet, as it would leave me out of pocket. I told him this, and said that I feel he should give me a partial refund as the item was not as described and will take a lot of work to fix up.

Do I have any other options? I paid in cash.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Sorry this has happened to you

BUT

I'm afraid this is your problem.

For pick up, you had the opportunity to inspect before payment. It is not the sellers fault you didn't so this and sent someone else.

The time to walk away was on inspection, before taking posession of it.

It's also not his problem how much it cost you to collect the item.

You might not have seen the item, but a person acting on your behalf, your delegated agent did. He should have refused delivery.

Niothing you can do now.

Remember that you have 60 days in which to express your opinion of the transaction in your feedback

BUT for a pick up item - this is your fault, I'm afraid.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

the seller has been more than generous - he has offered you a full refund on return - that is MORE than he has to do.

You cannot ask him for a partial refund, or expect him to unless it is a service he says he supplies in his l;isting.

your collection/delivery costs are always your responsibility when dealing on eBay

so in all honestly, if you couldn't go to pick up, you should have asked for more pics - asked more questions before your bid.

He has said they are used.

for pick up, insopection is a given.

Your seller has done nothing wrong, and in fact has done way more than he has to for you.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

The picture in the listing was of a different item (or may have been a very old picture). There is no description of any damage to the piece. I was not expecting it to be perfect (I would have been very surprised if it was), but I do expect something that resembles the picture.

Had I gone to pick it up, I would have refused it, but that's not the way it worked out as I was not able to pick it up on the day that he specified it had to be picked up. Looks like I have no recourse but feedback.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I have seen the listing.

I have seen the description.

yes, you should expect something thatv resembles the picture, but the time to walk away was before acceptance - regardless of who actually did that.

None of what you are saying is the sellers responsibility

This is all yours.

You are blaming the wrong person.

Your agent took the item away and paid for it - that is legal acceptance.

If you seek recourse via feedback, I hope the seller reports you.

Sorry that I have nothing more positive to say, but this is your mistake, you need to take responsibility for it.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I didn't mean using feedback as a form of blackmail. Geez, relax. I meant giving feedback as my experience with this- as you suggested in your first post.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

The only person you should be giving bad feedback to is your partner unless you failed to give him specific instructions to inspect them first before paying in which case you8 should take yourself to task.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

@khani808 wrote:

I didn't mean using feedback as a form of blackmail. Geez, relax. I meant giving feedback as my experience with this- as you suggested in your first post.

The seller may report your neg  Khani and could well get it removed as the item was a pickup so it was taken as-is by your friend.

IMO the neg is undeserved in this case.........................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@khani808 wrote:

When I made the first post, I hadn't seen the listing.

I reread your OP and realized that the seller had offered you a solution, a VERY fair solution - he offered you FULL refund. On a pick up item, that your agent had the opportunity to inspect and reject.

I never imagined that you would leave feedback that was so damaging to someone who has done nothing wrong.

I never imagined that you wouldn't take responsibility for your actions.

The listing was sparse, but you asked no questions.

Asked for no extra photos.

Asked no additional questions.

I'm sorry, but IMO, what you have now done is unethical.

I have no words, I'm sorry.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

@*crikey*mate* wrote:

@khani808 wrote:

When I made the first post, I hadn't seen the listing.

I reread your OP and realized that the seller had offered you a solution, a VERY fair solution - he offered you FULL refund. On a pick up item, that your agent had the opportunity to inspect and reject.

I never imagined that you would leave feedback that was so damaging to someone who has done nothing wrong.

I never imagined that you wouldn't take responsibility for your actions.

The listing was sparse, but you asked no questions.

Asked for no extra photos.

Asked no additional questions.

I'm sorry, but IMO, what you have now done is unethical.

I have no words, I'm sorry.

Nothing wrong?

A one line description "Used in show room for display" is hardly a suitable description for something that has major damage.

Seller selected used (Item specifics). Even ebay's own definition of used says "See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections".

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/contextual/condition_1.html

What about the seller disclose the true condition of the item and include pictures that reflect this?

Maybe time to think about using more accurate descriptions that save buyers wasting time and money....

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply