US seller wants me to buy postage label from Australia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have agreed to buy an item that's in the US. There was initially no international postage, but the seller agreed to me buying it knowing I was in Aus. They then asked me to buy a shipping label and send it to them via ebay message. I can't figure out any way to buy a shipping label. You anly seem to be able to do it as a seller. I even went to my local PO and they said they can't do it. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Pete 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You cannot send a postage label to the USA....it is totally illegal.

The seller has to pay the postage in the country he is selling in.

Just ask him to go to the PO and get a postage quote....then send you an invoice with the item price and postage cost on it.  You pay....he sends!   Simple really.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I absolutely cannot see the seller being  able to send you a parcel with an Australian postage label attached.  To start with 1 is in US$ and the other in A$.  I think you could both be in trouble as it is fraud against the postal service.  A label purchased in one country is for mailing only from that country.

I could be wrong but if that can be done, it would open up a minefield for many reasons.

Have you asked the seller to get a quote from USPS and add it to the item price then you pay for it in one transaction.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You cannot send a postage label to the USA....it is totally illegal.

The seller has to pay the postage in the country he is selling in.

Just ask him to go to the PO and get a postage quote....then send you an invoice with the item price and postage cost on it.  You pay....he sends!   Simple really.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I have agreed to buy an item that's in the US. There was initially no international postage, but the seller agreed to me buying it knowing I was in Aus. They then asked me to buy a shipping label and send it to them via ebay message. I can't figure out any way to buy a shipping label. You anly seem to be able to do it as a seller. I even went to my local PO and they said they can't do it. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Pete 

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. What the seller is asking you doesn't make any sense.

Perhaps the seller doesn't have PayPal. The only thing I can think of is that the seller is asking you for IRC's aka International reply Coupons. I know that an IRC would cover the cost of a return letter, and maybe a bunch of them could cover a parcel. Ask seller if he / she wanted you to send some IRC's over to him / her to cover post cost

Hmm, are they still around those IRC's?

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

IRCs are still around but are not suitable for what you are proposing.

What has the seller having paypal got to do with anything?

I think you will find that all US sellers have to offer paypal just as Australian sellers do.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

IRCs are still around but are not suitable for what you are proposing.

What has the seller having paypal got to do with anything?

I think you will find that all US sellers have to offer paypal just as Australian sellers do.

I was just wondering if that was what the seller was trying to say. The OP did say "They then asked me to buy a shipping label"

What else could it be then?  Most sellers in the US offer paypal but there are still some around that don't. I've seen it for myself. They do need to get PayPal as it's a sales determinator in most cases.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Paypal or credit card are the only payment methods on ebay.com.

If a seller does not accept them then I would not trust that seller at all.

I think the OP has just got a clueless seller.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Yes Lyndal, that definitely seemes to be the case. From what the OP has said, sounds like the seller has no idea what's going on. I just hope that now he's agreed to buy the item, it doesn't end up being one of those "horrible experiences".

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I wonder if the seller is in South Carolina

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. Exactly what I ended up doing. The seller was just being lazy.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply