When a purchase buggers up 2 months after purchase & seller wants to refund half money only

Purchased a torch from <deleted> a few months ago and it stuffed up two months after.

Contacted them and ebay and <deleted> only wants to refund half the money.

what would you do other than advertise <deleted> as an unfair seller ??

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When a purchase buggers up 2 months after purchase & seller wants to refund half money only

Ok it's my turn,

Thanks to all who gave me a sensible answer. Those of you who went on and on about **bleep**, I think it's time to switch your computers off and do something productive.  Bye bye

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Look at it this way. If you had bought the torch from a B&M Store a few months ago then after two months it stopped working, would you be taking back and asking for a refund? I seriously doubt it, so why would you expect a refund after that length of time from a seller here on ebay? Half the money is more than I would have offered, if i was the seller I would be saying straight up "No way". You could try taking it up with ebay or paypal but i dare say they would tell you the same thing.

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

Firstly who is B&M ??

Secondly I have taken it up with Ebay who said I should (and am entitled to a refund) be refunded and they recommended I contact the International Sellers Association, which I have done. Some sellers just want your money and  people who say NO WAY fit into that category.

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

B&M = Bricks and Mortar

And i am a BUYER ONLY myself here on ebay

Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

I agree , I'd say no way also. A torch ? worth how much ? 

You have already left a negative follow up so take the half refund , that is very generous of seller.

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

WELL ! some people make me wonder just how rich they are. look forward to retirement with a pension and you will realise what a few dollars mean to you. I posted negative feedback for <removed>  you better buy some glasses.

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

You should probably desist from posting sellers' IDs.They seem to get <deleted>. Which is better than the previous moderation where your post would have been deleted in its entirety and you would probably have incurred enough points for a holiday.

Having said that - 2 months is pretty good for cheap OS manufactured junk, especially purchased online. If you are on a pension you should really consider the 'value for money' paradigm, rather than the 'cheapest'. They are not usually the same.

Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

Did the torch in question come with a warranty? Usually on or in the packaging there is something that relates to the manufacturers claim as to the products usabilty and longevity. As with most Retailers  who are not the manufacturer , the buyer will be referred to the manufacturer, just try taking a product back to Harvey Norman etc.

It is an unfortunate situation you are in however for the Seller to offer any kind of compensation is commendable unless of course they made any warranty claims in relation to this product.    

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

Quote: "the buyer will be referred to the manufacturer, just try taking a product back to Harvey Norman etc."

Please get your facts right !

Below is a direct cut & paste from the ACCC website

"The retailer who sold you the product or service cannot refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer"

Below is a direct cut & paste from the ACCC website

"The retailer who sold you the product or service cannot refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer"

Repairs

If the problem with a product or service is minor, you must accept a free repair if the business offers you one.

If the business fails to give you a free repair within a reasonable time or cannot fix your problem, you can:

• get it done elsewhere and pass on the costs to the business
  • ask for a replacement 
  • ask for a refund
  • recover compensation for the drop in value below the price paid

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

@bsal6160 wrote:

Look at it this way. If you had bought the torch from a B&M Store a few months ago then after two months it stopped working, would you be taking back and asking for a refund? I seriously doubt it, so why would you expect a refund after that length of time from a seller here on ebay? Half the money is more than I would have offered, if i was the seller I would be saying straight up "No way". You could try taking it up with ebay or paypal but i dare say they would tell you the same thing.

I disagree, I would, depending on the price of the item, of course.

For example, my keyboard cost nearly $250 from a B&M, and after 3 months it's performance began to deteriorate to a point of double typing the letters. Whilst it is a gaming keyboard, I don't game and use it purely for typing, so it should have been able to last a lot longer and been a lot sturdier than it was, as it was built to withstand a good thrashing by gaming enthusiasts, not a recreational typist. (I got it cos it is red and glows in the dark, so I can work at the computer without having to have other lights on).

Did I take my kepboard back to where I purchased it? You bet I did.

Did they replace it? Yes. Yes they did.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 10 of 40
Latest reply