Why is seller's feedback score 90% if only 11 sales have been made in the last 12 months, and 10 +

... 10 of those were positive?

Ok, that's my question ...

Oops, forgot to add his total score is 461 ...

That's why I'm querying this score ... seems a bit harsh if there's 461 in total ...

Sorry if I sound naive, but obviously there are more sales older than this, and I don't want to avoid the seller because of a low score if the previous score was like 99%

Robyn

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Why is seller's feedback score 90% if only 11 sales have been made in the last 12 months, and 10 +

Feedback drops off for calculating a % after 12 months. So that is correct, based on eBay's formula.

The best way to assess if you want to buy from this seller is to read the recent comments.

Remember it can work the other way too; a poorly performing seller with a lot of negatives will lose them after 12 months.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

It takes 2,000 pos feedback to wipe out one neg if you want it gone before the 12 months is up.

I would rather buy from a 90% feedback seller with one neg and the rest of the pos comments good than from a high volume seller sitting at 99.2% with a large collection of negs, they often have a lot of neuts too plus a fair number of revised.

You have to look at more than the percentage when deciding to trust a seller or not.

See what a trendsetter I am?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I think what phorum junkie said about sums it up.

Don't let one negative worry you too much. Read it and decide if it sounds as if the seller was at fault, or if the buyer was just unreasonable.

If most feedback is pretty good, you are probably safe to buy.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Thank you for answering my question and clarifying the scoring criteria.

I've always looked firstly at the seller's feedback score on the item listing, if it's below 98 I give them a miss.

Now I know I was mistaken to do that, probably in many cases.  But for some of them avoidance was justified.

So from now on I'll need to take a further delve into a seller's feedback before I write them off.  I really feel sad for the seller who's come back after a year and had one unhappy customer who ruined their previous 10 years' work.

C'est la vie I suppose.

Thanks again 

Robyn

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Ok, I've just found most of the feedback from about 10 years' worth of sales, and can't find any negative, but the one.

Doesn't seem fair to reduce score to 90% and turn buyers off ...

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Feedback drops off for calculating a % after 12 months. So that is correct, based on eBay's formula.

The best way to assess if you want to buy from this seller is to read the recent comments.

Remember it can work the other way too; a poorly performing seller with a lot of negatives will lose them after 12 months.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

It takes 2,000 pos feedback to wipe out one neg if you want it gone before the 12 months is up.

I would rather buy from a 90% feedback seller with one neg and the rest of the pos comments good than from a high volume seller sitting at 99.2% with a large collection of negs, they often have a lot of neuts too plus a fair number of revised.

You have to look at more than the percentage when deciding to trust a seller or not.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I think what phorum junkie said about sums it up.

Don't let one negative worry you too much. Read it and decide if it sounds as if the seller was at fault, or if the buyer was just unreasonable.

If most feedback is pretty good, you are probably safe to buy.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Thank you for answering my question and clarifying the scoring criteria.

I've always looked firstly at the seller's feedback score on the item listing, if it's below 98 I give them a miss.

Now I know I was mistaken to do that, probably in many cases.  But for some of them avoidance was justified.

So from now on I'll need to take a further delve into a seller's feedback before I write them off.  I really feel sad for the seller who's come back after a year and had one unhappy customer who ruined their previous 10 years' work.

C'est la vie I suppose.

Thanks again 

Robyn

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@robynrobynfnq wrote:

Robyn, you can also further delve into the eBay calculation for a member.  On their feedback page there is a line under their ID that says Positive Feedback (last 12 months) and then a % score.  Just under this line is a line that says [How is Feedback percentage calculated?], and hovering your pointer over this link will open a text box that has the exact calculation for that member in detail.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply