Why isn't the GST included in the bidding price?

dachrma
Community Member

Quote from ACCC: "When you present prices to your customers, you must state the total price of the good or service as a single figure, which is the minimum total cost that is able to be calculated. This should include any tax, duty, fee, levy or other additional charges (e.g. GST or airport tax)."

I'm assuming the purchase agreement is made when clicking [Buy It Now]. This bidding price should include GST (or maybe at least state something like "price excludes GST") so that when comparing this price to another Australian price it is a fair comparison. I can't back out of the purchase after i've agreed to buy, so increasing the price at checkout seems to breach the pricing rules.

(note: I have no issues with being charged GST, I just want it to be transparent and consistent)

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

NO you are wrong. ALL ADS in Australia advertised in Australia have to have  GST INCLUDED no hidden charges also. "it is a crime with a 50,000 fine for the company and 10k for the employee "or something like that if I remember. when they are on ebay.com and the rest they have to follow those coutrieslaws, not Australias.

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

@way2_4002,

This thread dates back to 2018, and was last posted to about a year ago. That's the first thing.

Secondly, you are mistaken. Read this post in which I quote from the ATO's website regarding displayed prices in this situation.

Thirdly... this old thread should probably be locked.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply