awaiting feedback, just how long should a buyer have to wait for a sellers feedback

hsv068
Community Member

Just curious as to how long to wait for a sellers feedback, item (removed), was purchased from (sellers name removed), on 06/01/2014, have recieved the item and sent positive feedback, also a message, no reponse, what to do ?

pride myself running my ebay account, always do things promptly, maybe he wanted more for the item, however, I was the highest bidder, cheers HSV068.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

awaiting feedback, just how long should a buyer have to wait for a sellers feedback

Wait another 5 days and they won't be able to leave feedback at all.

Feedback is voluntary and feedback for buyers is a count of how many sellers left feedback. It can only be positive, so it doesn't affect your account (unlike what feedback can do to a seller).

I would also report your post. You are not allowed to name and shame other members. Especially for something as trivial as this.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

@hsv068 wrote:

Just curious as to how long to wait for a sellers feedback

That's a bit of a personal choice, no? 😄 You could choose to stop waiting after a day, a minute, a week - or wait forever. 😛

Personally, I don't wait for feedback from seller's at all. I wait for the item's I've purchased, or answers to questions I've asked, offers I've made....stuff like that, but I spend 0 time waiting for or expecting FB. 😉

Feedback comments can be nice - I get that; and I both know and understand the reasons why its considered polite, but at the end of the day each member is entitled to make their own choices about if or when they leave it. 

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Given that feedback is voluntary, I wouldn't be waiting. They may leave feedback in bulk once a month. They may choose not to leave any at all.
Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

I get where you are coming from.

I realise sellers can only give positive feedback, but all the same, if a transaction goes smoothly, where you have paid promptly, no dramas, it just comes across as more efficient, & polite in a way, if the seller takes that time to give feedback.

And although it may not make much difference to you as a buyer if you have only one positive feedback or 101, it actually can make a difference if you decide to sell anything-a higher number gives other buyers more confidence. Maybe a false confidence in some cases, I know.

But all the same, it counts, and ebay is a lot about first impressions.

As for hsv068 waiting for feedback- I doubt the seller is going to bother, not if he ignored your message etc. Don't hold your breath.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

I'm awaiting my 1458 feedback point so that I can sleep more easily................................

hsv, it's only points on a computer screen - it means fa........................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

True. It IS only points on a computer screen.

And I think the day will come when there is no feedback on ebay, or else no written comments, only star ratings.

But all the same, I can see that padi has (1457) after his name.

Immediately I have an impression that padi has been around ebay a while, is perhaps a seller with a shop, is a regular anyway and probably likely to supply the goods.

Now, if he had a feedback of zero... hmmm, I would be far less inclined to buy from him unless the ad reeked of sincerity & honesty.Smiley Happy

And a very low score isn't much better.

And buyers can turn into sellers, so to some extent, the little score does count for first impressions.

Mind you, no use losing sleep over a few missed feedbacks. It happens.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Springy, you would be wrong about Padi.  If you check his feeback you will see that he is a buyer only on this ID.

My feedback would probably tell you much the same thing about me, but again you would be wrong....I too, am a buyer only on this account.

You really cannot assume anything about a member without going into their feedback in detail.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

Yes, you're right, you actually need to go into feedback to get the real nitty gritty.

I guess I was talking more of first impressions.

Even if all the numbers are from buying, it is still a sign someone has been around ebay a while (well, usually).

I suppose it is just the first impression of-are you dealing with someone familiar with ebay or a newbie.

At the end of the day, even a person with some bad feedback as a seller may not have deserved it, so how 'useful' feedback always is, is a moot point.

But for sure, the impression on buyers can be that a seller is a bit slack if they don't go through the procedure that ebay has in place. I know it is voluntary but it can look a bit slack if a seller doesn't bother. If nobody ever bothered, there would be no feedback at all, I suppose.

I tend to think the poersonal comments part  isn't always that helpful, but maybe that is just me.

And not only on ebay. I've been reading a review site where people write about items, in this case prams. The same pram can have reviews from terrible to super, you end up wondering if they are all talking about the same thing.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

I am pleased to read springyzone's comments. I am surprised by some of the others....

Maybe I am a bit old school but I base my entire ebay experiences on feedback comments. I thought everyone did!

If I view a feedback rating that is for buying only, it still tells me whether that person has integrity or whether they are problematic. If they decide to sell something, it enables me to form a general view.  Its about minimising (not eliminating) risk.

Obviously the bigger seller's dont spend their days worrying too much about it but ebay is made up of a multitude of different types of sellers and I can asure you, the smaller one's like me (there are thousands!) who only buy/sell occasionally depend on it.

I too am a little dismayed that my last 4 transactions both buying and selling have not received feedback, when I always leave it.

I though that's what ebay was about.

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply