best offer??

boggo58
Community Member

Hi, I was going to buy a power plug for traveling around Europe and found one for $1 or best offer so I put in .90c. It wouldnt accept that but it asked me to put in a bid more than a $1. It was like a auto response ftom ebay. Whats going on??

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

best offer??

cq_tech
Community Member
Are you serious? Did you really ask for a 10c discount off a $1 item?

If money's that tight, you probably shouldn't be using eBay at all IMO.
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

best offer??

Do you really think you are going to get a safe plug adaptor for a dollar? At best you will get something that may work but more likely it will be a shock and fire risk.

Do yourself a favour and pay a reasonable amount from a decent store, not one of the cheap stores that sell the same unsafe and cheap tat sold by many sellers on ebay.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

best offer??

Agree, when it comes to electrical things, better to buy higher priced and proper ones.

As a couple of people have found out recently in Aus. Didn't one die and one got burnt ?

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

best offer??

The death was caused by a non-compliant uninsulated switched mode power supply. As far as plug adapters are concerned, the cheap ones are perfectly safe as all they do is allow you to use electrical items with US, UK, or European pins in Australian power points.

There are no internal components, they are perfectly well insulated and they contain no moving parts. Ideally, you should be using items made for use with Australian power points but on many appliances it is either not possible or convenient to replace the mains plug so adapters are the next best thing.
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

best offer??

I know its only a $1 but there the ones that put best offer. Yes I could easily pay $50 for it but the same thing would apply if I bought something for $500 or best offer and ebay (I dont think its tne seller doing it) wanted me to put in $501 or more.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

best offer??

I get Boggo's point.

If a seller lists any item as "Make an offer" then it is not unreasonable to expect that some buyers might... make an offer.

Can I just say though Boggo that you might only be able to get 5% discount of any item, don't assume a 10% discount will be accepted.

But if the system isn't even accepting any offers at all except offers OVER $1, then that is strange.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

best offer??

Op is pretty generous I would have offered 50c to start with
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

best offer??

they are perfectly well insulated

Like to bet? I have seen, in the UK, a film made undercover in one of the many factories where they churn this stuff out and you are actually lucky if all you get is an empty, inefffective shell which is nothing but plastic.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

best offer??

Since when has plastic ever been a conductor of electricity?

Where I come from it's generally used as a very effective insulator.
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply