double purchase

leorx
Community Member

Something is wrong with Ebay Lately.  I accidentally double purchased items twice in two days.

The first one was at check out,  ebay wouldn't let me pay for the items as the seller put down "freight" and wants me to press the "request for total" button.  After I click on the request for total button, it took me back to the same page.  It was then, I realised the delivery address I've given on the transaction was my work address.  So, I updated my address and clicked on "request for total" again.  The glitch aside, how could ebay possibly made me commit to a purchase without getting the freight cost from the seller.  its crazy.  what if the seller tells me its 1 billion dollars for freight, am I still legaly bound to purchase the item?

The second time was through its mobile app.  after I click "place order", it showed an error and took me back to the same check out page.  so I pressed it again, now I have two purchases on my account!  What is going on here!?

I've sent emails to each seller.  hopfuly they are understanding and allow me to cancel the orders.  EBAY please fix these glitches, I've been a long time ebay shopper and never had this kind of issues before.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

double purchase

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You should have asked for a postage quote if the listing did not have an actual amount.

It is hardly ebay's fault if you committed to buy before asking the seller for the cost.  And yes, you have committed to buy even if the postage is outrageous.

I cannot comment on the other incident as I don't use the mobile app.  but I would suggest that if you have misused the "Request Total" function then you have also misused the other function too.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

double purchase

leorx
Community Member
Thanks for the assesment. The only logic you have is based on assumption. Im not sure how request total twice means purchase the item twice in the same check out basket. This are a thousand dollars worth of items! I dont know how the app could pop up with an error and even allow me buy the items twice. Where's the common sense here?
Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

double purchase

@leorx wrote:
 Im not sure how request total twice means purchase the item twice in the same check out basket. 

It's because you actually told the system twice that you wanted to purchase it.

This is the button you have to click to request a total from the seller, which very clearly indicates that by requesting the total, you are comitting to buy the items, so if you do that twice, 99% of the time you'll end up buying twice:

request total2.PNG

If you experience cart issues in the future (definitely more common with the apps, unfortunately), the best thing to do is exit the cart, rather than repeat the action or process, and go to your eBay account to check your purchases and confirm whether an item has indeed been purchased. 

If an incorrect address is used to request a quote, there should be an option in the dropdown menu next to the (already purchased) item to request a new invoice, or you can message the seller directly to ask for a new one. 

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

double purchase

Slightly off topic, but how crazy is it that you have to "Commit to buy" to find out what the postage/freight cost is?

Surely there is some trade practices act breach there....

I've come up against this a couple of times and just backed out of the deal.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

double purchase

If you have an item in your cart you can message the seller to ask for the postage cost before committing to buy the item.

Once the seller has told you the cost you can then hit the button to buy and ask for the seller to make up the invoice with the postage amount on it.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

double purchase

I asked the seller.....

Said he couldn't see what I had in the cart.......

It all go too hard and I moved on....

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

double purchase

I can understand where you are coming from. If something doesn't seem to work, most people do tend to click again.

Yes, if I were you, I would write to both sellers and explain. In the circumstances, since you are obviously still buying one, any reasonable seller should be able to gauge you are genuine and made a genuine mistake here & let you cancel one of the orders.

If they don't and it is an expensive purchase, then you really can't be forced into paying for something you don't want or need. You could pay for one item, not pay for the other. That is what I would do.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

double purchase

What I would do is open the ad and then click on the bit where it says ask seller a question. I am pretty sure then they see exactly what item you are asking about. I have never had a problem with asking questions that way. I have never tried this cart thing.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

double purchase

No need to ask for one item as the postage is generally already there.

In a cart you may have 8 or 10 items (or more) and the problem is that you need to "commit to buy" your order even before you know the postage discount or even if the seller is going to give one at all. So you have no idea of the total price, but you're expected to commit to the purchase..

The system is broken....

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply