eBay refused to honour Money Back Guarantee WITHOUT ANY REASON

helensin
Community Member

I have bought an item from UK.  I paid by PayPal.  I am from Australia.  After waited for two months, I did not receive the item.  I asked for refund.  I was not paid.  eBay made the decision that I was not covered by the Guarantee.  I appealed.  I was given a reply within minutes.  NO REFUND.  NO REASON WAS GIVEN.  Is there anyone who knows the answer?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@helensin,

eBay's Money Back Guarantee timeframes are absolute and without any wriggle room.

Did you open up the INR case no later than 30 days from the latest EDD (Estimated Delivery Date)? If you waited for longer than that, even by 1 minute, the case would have been closed automatically.

You do have another sort of recourse if the eBay MBG is no longer available to you as a result of not acting within the MBG timeframe, though. You can make a claim through PayPal Buyer Protection.

Please read this post: it includes all of the steps you should have taken re the MBG claim (assuming that you did act too late), and it also includes the link on how to open a claim through PayPal Buyer Protection.

By the way, it's just occured to me... Was the item to be sent via the Global Shipping Program?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, it is global shipping program.  What is the relevance?

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Good morning.

Not sure if the GSP makes any difference.

However as countessa asked... did you open a case within 30 days of the Last Estimated Delivery Date?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

It may not be relevant... but it may be that the item you purchased was deemed non-deliverable.

You might want to read through this thread... but if the Estimated Date of Delivery has passed by more than 30 days, that would certainly explain the eBay report/claim closing automatically. Your best bet really would be to open a claim in PayPal, as per the link in the link in my first thread. I know that sounds convoluted... so here's the relevant bit:

PayPal Buyer Protection - Open a Dispute

You can still open a claim in PayPal using PayPal Buyer Protection (you have up to 180 days to open a dispute, and once you've opened the dispute, you must escalate the dispute to a claim NO LATER than 20 days after opening the dispute).

Do not - absolutely do NOT - close the dispute without getting your full refund. The seller could promise a refund, tell you that you need to close the dispute in order to get the refund, and that would be that - you'd be stuck from that moment onwards, because once closed a PayPal dispute can't be re-opened.

(Sellers promising refunds and trying to manipulate buyers into closing disputes is a well-known tactic.)

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

No idea what you purchased, but if you failed to follow the Ebay guidelines for opening a case, your only recourse now is through Paypal as you have 180 days.

In future, you do not need to ASK for a refund - you need to open an actual dispute within the time frame so it makes it "official" with Ebay and they can monitor the dispute.

What does the tracking say?

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Can you give us more details please so someone will be able to tell you why you were denied a refund?

- When was the estimated delivery and when did you open a case?

- What had you bought, or at least in which category (some categories are not covered by the MBG)?

- What does the tracking say?

- Have you contacted the seller and what did they say (if you were able to talk to them)?

At any rate, as you used PayPal, you still have time to open a dispute in PayPal.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply