ebay is it really as safe as it's made out to be?

rnbguy
Community Member

Hi All,

I thought I'd share this experience.

I have purchased an item from the U.S, lost $6,000 due to the item arriving faulty ebay has hit me hard by removing my negative feedback.

Catherine B. from customer service completly made me feel 100 times worse by repeating the same line "sorry sir we can't do anything here".

All this because I advised the ebayer that if he doesnt reply to me soon I'm left with no choice but to leave negative feedback. All I asked was for him to reply to me as he was ignoring me, now ebay (CB particularly) have said I cannot say that here. regardless of ebay advising buyers to speak to sellers BEFORE leaving negative feedback.

Now the ebayer who took my $6,000 is running around with 100% positive feedback....

I wish there could be an ebay alternative out there, this isnt the first time they've let criminal action go without justice.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

You're not allowed to use feedback for extortion or bribery etc. That's their rules.

It's PayPal with whom you need to be talking to sort out the $6,000

Are you still within the time limits to open up a case with them?

It is a pretty safe place matey, if you just work withing the rules, policies and guidelines.

I'm really sorryb that this has happened to you, it's a LOT of money, I do hope that someone comes and can help you to dsort this out, but the loss of $6,000 is really a PayPal thing, not eBay.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

thanks for the reply matey, your "right" it's safe to know an ebayer has taken $6000 from me and still has 100% positive feedback.

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

@rnbguy wrote:

thanks for the reply matey, your "right" it's safe to know an ebayer has taken $6000 from me and still has 100% positive feedback.

In some cases, you can request your feedback to be reinstated. If what you say is true (that your wording specifically indicated if they didn't reply, you would leave negative FB), then it shouldn't have counted as feedback extortion, as that specifically refers to people demanding things they're not entitled to (eg refund without returning the item, extra items for free etc).

If you haven't yet, you may have more success phoning rather than speaking to live help or emailing.

Are you within the time limit to raise a dispute?

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Hi digital,

Yep the main reason this isn't going to legal is because paypal is helping recover the money.

However the problem with ebay leaves me perplexed.

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

@rnbguy wrote:

Hi digital,

Yep the main reason this isn't going to legal is because paypal is helping recover the money.

eBay also allows sellers to apply for feedback removal on the grounds of defamation (a witnessed statement must be submitted by the seller), which may have also been the reason for feedback removal, and if so it probably won't be reinstated.  eBay generally don't make a judgement, but accept the legal documentation and remove the FB. 

If the seller requested removal on any other basis, I think you would still have a shot at having it reinstated (as long as the comment itself was within the guidelines - eg any mention of disputes, PayPal, other transactions and so forth is not allowed). 

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

I wouldn't be particularly bothered about feedback with so much money at stake. I don't suppose the seller would be either, $6000 for a red dot seems a no brainer to me from the seller's point of view.

Crikey if it was purchased through the US site then it is ebay buyer protection that applies, not Paypal.

Instead of using threats of neg feedback you should have opened a dispute, if it is less than 45 days then you still can.

If you are out of time or there is some other reason you are not covered by buyer protection, if it were a motor vehicle for instance, and you funded the payment with a credit card you can go to your card provider and ask about a chargeback.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

@rnbguy wrote:

Hi digital,

As they should, given they provide the protection service on eBay Aust.

So what is your issue with safety on eBay. Leaving a negative, whether or not it sticks, has nothing to do with safety. That's about money, which you seem to have in hand.

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

I wouldn't be particularly bothered about feedback with so much money at stake. I don't suppose the seller would be either, $6000 for a red dot seems a no brainer to me from the seller's point of view.

Crikey if it was purchased through the US site then it is ebay buyer protection that applies, not Paypal.

Instead of using threats of neg feedback you should have opened a dispute, if it is less than 45 days then you still can.

If you are out of time or there is some other reason you are not covered by buyer protection, if it were a motor vehicle for instance, and you funded the payment with a credit card you can go to your card provider and ask about a chargeback.

so why is PayPal helping to recover the money?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

thanks for the replies, the money issue should be under control with paypal they seem to be trying to help, although I won't get the whole amount I might recover alot of it.

My issue here is ebay feedback system must be so out of wack if their allowing people that ripped (or tried to) me of $6,000 to have 100% feedback and go on about their business.

As a buyer i look at the feedback to determine how safe it will be when shopping on with that seller, but now this theif has 100% positive feedback I don't think i'll trust that anymore. Ebay's feedback is what seperates ebay from say buying from an online shopping site which has no feedback or track record.

I'll speak to the credit card company if Paypal can't retrieve funds and just try to bypass paypal completly.

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply