help with ebay policy, please

I have a seller who wants to charge more than the postage stated in the listing, after the auction has ended.

I am pretty sure you can't do this, what is stated as postage stands, but can't find an actual ebay policy to quote - can anyone help?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Although postage is supposed to be as shown the seller is not all that experienced and may not know how to set up calculated postage on the listing.

They have also mentioned in the description to ask for a postage cost as it may be higher or lower than showing and also added a note to the listing about waiting for an invoice for the correct postage cost.

They will have no idea that this is not the correct way to list but obviously think that if buyers read the description they will know that the postage costs may not be quoted correctly.

It is not the correct way to do things but knowing how confusing ebay is for inexperienced users I can understand why it happens.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

@jensmanchester-australia wrote:

Although postage is supposed to be as shown the seller is not all that experienced and may not know how to set up calculated postage on the listing.

They have also mentioned in the description to ask for a postage cost as it may be higher or lower than showing and also added a note to the listing about waiting for an invoice for the correct postage cost.

They will have no idea that this is not the correct way to list but obviously think that if buyers read the description they will know that the postage costs may not be quoted correctly.

It is not the correct way to do things but knowing how confusing ebay is for inexperienced users I can understand why it happens.

So if the postage quoted is wrong, I would say inexperienced NO, lazy YES

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

@jensmanchester-australia wrote:

I bought from the same seller (yes, silly me) in November last year for the same kind of item - almost exactly the same in fact, and on that occasion the seller said that the postage was going to be a lot more than was advertised and asked for suggestions.

In November then, I emailed the seller with the available options, including a tutorial on ebay labels, an explanation of 5 kg satchels, and because he was an inexperienced seller, I sent extra postage!

Therefore, when he listed again in Feb this year, it was almost the same wording, but I assumed this time he had actually weighed the item and the postage was going to be correct - and the extra words in the listing had been left over from last time.

So what I am asking is, is there an ebay policy that I can look up and quote?

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

There used to be a policy but I don't know if it still applies.

I found this in the help pages so it appears that sellers can change the costs on the invoice.

If you send an eBay invoice to a buyer or enter charges in a Selling Manager Sales Record, the postage costs you enter take priority over the calculated postage costs, and the buyer is charged the amounts you enter.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

So what I am asking is, is there an ebay policy that I can look up and quote?

This is all I can find. I thought there used to be something more specific than this re sellers trying to charge more for postage after sale.

As a seller, you're expected to:

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

The only thing I've seen that is more specific is the one that says you can't add a postage and/or handling cost after sale if you have offered free postage.

The trouble with the help pages is, they are far too hard to find what you are looking for. Unless you know the exact terminology that the techs used when creating the pages, you're screwed.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

grevilleas4me,

I am pretty sure you can't do this, what is stated as postage stands, but can't find an actual ebay policy to quote

These days, you can quote to the seller all you like, it may not persuade him to change the postage if that is indeed how much would it cost to post your parcel.

From what I gather reading the boards, no one seems to adhere much to the Ebay's rules, no one cares what f/back they get - after all it's only Ebay - and people are starting to do what they like  as the sales are pathetic and they have got nothing to lose.

Aparently, paying for someone else postage (subsidising) and sending things that they didn't get enough money for are on the way out - not many seem to be "honor bound" and even less likely to up hold any rules that are bound to cost them money.

And why should they - just so that they don't get the neg? Big deal!

You best pay him the extra so that you get your stuff - as he can change  the postage to what required amount is, what's stopping him, it's his item, his store, his rules - that is quite normal and it's done daily on even much more successful and busier sites than Ebay.

Sellers wait to see what your final purchases are - and the postage is calulated on that and included in the invoice.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I would not pay the seller extra postage. The policy I posted above says the postage cost must be in the listing.

It really is up to the seller to put accurate postage cost in the listing.

There is nothing that says the seller can INCREASE the postage on items after the item is sold 

Sellers can combine postage for mulitple purchases and send a new invoice (which would lower the postage costs). Or seller may

offer free post  on a second item bought at same time as first, which would require a new invoice being sent.

Giving a seller a neg or neutral IS a big deal. They do care about avoiding those.  The seller gets a defect for neutral or neg feedback, low star ratings and it affects their seller performance standards. Too many of those and their account/selling ability can be restricted.

grevilleas4me - If I was you I would email ebay customer support and ask them if the seller can increase postage costs after item is sold. They should email you back and if they state clearly the seller can't increase the postage costs, you could send the seller a copy of that reply and say you won't be paying the extra.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Changing the post cost after a listing ends is against the rules if that charge is not mentioned in the listing, or is listed in a contradictory manner.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-circumventing.html

Some rules regarding post are still under avoiding eBay fees - on the site map.

Excessive postage and handling charges

"Specify postage costs in your listings. It's against our rules to provide unclear or misleading postage information, or to have unreasonable postage charges"

Allowed

• Charging actual postage costs

• Including the cost of packaging materials, insurance costs and delivery

• Including delivery confirmation or similar extra services in the handling cost

Not allowed

• Excessive postage and handling charges

• Charging a separate fee for insurance

• Charging for business-related fees such as employee wages, mileage or storage costs

• Including contradictory or confusing postage terms in your listing

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply