increase in shipping in invoice

Bit of a long story. Found a couple of match tins for sale in the US. Listing stated ask seller for shipping quote. This was because GSP deems them a prohibited item. Contact seller and they say that they have had bad experiences shipping to Australia and they won't send "sorry". So I ask why they have Australia as a shipping destination. They say they will now do it via GSP. I explain that GSP considers the tim prohibited being for matches and other sellers have sent them to me successfully via USPS FIRST CLASS INTERNATIONAL fully tracked, no worries. So seller says okay, I'll check it.out and change the listing. Shipping is added at $16.75. I'm happy with that as every other little match tin has been $12.75. So an extra $4 for fees and handling is fair. Place the minimum bid. No one else bids and I win. Later on I received an invoice with shipping of $25. I have sent a message asking for the transaction to be cancelled
Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

chezzy
Community Member

If it was me I probably would have asked for a new invoice (via the request total price) to reflect the shipping price shown in the listing (and included a screen shot). And if it seemed they weren't going to honor that then look at a cancellation.

Gotta love those 'bad experiences shipping to Australia'. And the other one:  'too much paperwork'.

Really they should just say in their listings "We can not be stuffed shipping to Australia, please don't bother asking"

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

I have had plenty of bad experiences buying from yanks. Anything goes wrong and they immediately blame you as a descendant of a convict. Both my parents came here with their parents in the 1950's. I must be stupid as I keep persisting
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Just received message from eBay that transaction has been cancelled at buyers request. Seller claims that USPS website said it wad $21. Seller claims once packed it would weigh more than 13ozs (368g). I think they never wanted to send to Australia because both tins weigh less than 25g
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

My experiences have been mixed - from don't know/don't wanna/don't care to those who bend over backwards and are absolute sweethearts.

One thing for sure is that the whole GSP has made it so much easier for me NOT to buy and not be tempted to buy, much better on my wallet. The exchange rate helps me resist temptation too. I like to remember something someone said to me once: "it is cheaper if you leave it on the shelf".

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Something of that weight....even if you allowed up to 200 grams to include packaging....should only be $12.75 (and if they arranged it online it would only be $11.48 AND include free tracking/delivery confirmation). Certainly add a couple/few dollars for fees/handling but charging double? They weren't quoting you for Priority mail or something?

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I specifically asked for USPS First Class International and that's what the seller put on the listing with the $16.75 rate. I wasn't going to pay the $25 quoted in the invoice. Pity eBay don't give the buyer the option of cancelling due to seller trying to rip me off but eBay would probably more annoyed that they couldn't rip me off via their GSP
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Was the $25 in US dollars, or had it converted to $AU? The exchange rate is pretty carpy at the moment and $US16.75 would come close to $AU25. If you looked at the amount in your purchase history, it would have been showing in AU dollars.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

It was $25US. I'm not that stupid the invoice was all in US dollars as I was buying from a US seller
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

It's all done now. Transaction cancelled. I could have paid for the two tins and given negative feedback once I had them and that would be the overall impression of the transaction but I don't do that
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply