item and postage

I bid and won a painting in an auction last night that had on the listing Free Local Pick up but in the description it clearly said it was possible to post this with Australia Post, upon winning (and I was the only bidder) I immediately contacted the seller to give me the total with postage. I recieved a message back with a phone number to talk to the seller to 'work out how to post it" I have since tried to contact the seller several times today via phone and through messaging via ebay with no response what so ever, I have yet to pay for the painting but as the seller is not responding I have no idea what to do, should I wait a bit longer and risk the seller claiming I didn't pay or should I go ahead and pay ??? just not sure what to do, I have 100% good feedback myself as a buyer and a seller and don't want any negatives, any suggestions please

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

item and postage

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Give the seller a chance to get back to you....they could well be at work.

The seller cannot open a dispute for non payment for 4 days so don't worry about that.  Even if they do open a dispute you still have 4 days to pay before they can close it and give you a strike.

You really should have asked for a postage quote before bidding....as it stands now the seller can charge what they want for postage and you are obliged to pay.

The seller cannot give you negative feedback....sellers have not been able to leave negatives for buyers for several years now.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

item and postage

Thankyou for replying, yes I realise I should have enquired prior but when I came across the auction it was too late to message the seller though as I said in the description it does say it can be posted, I also realise that if they charge some exorbitant postage cost I'll just have to pay it and if that happens it will be a lesson learnt.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

item and postage

Try to sit back and wait.     The seller needs time to work out the postage, and may not be on the computer all the time.    

Do not send any more emails or messages, as pointed out, the seller is probably at work and cannot answer you just yet.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

item and postage

Definitely do not pay unless and until you receive an invoice that includes postage or it will be treated as a pick up item even if the seller posts it after you make a separate payment for delivery. Although pick up items are covered to a certain extent now with Paypal I think you would have a hard time if you did not receive anything.

No need to panic, as others have told you the seller can do nothing for 4 days and if they fail to provide you with an invoice including delivery a phone call to ebay would almost certainly see a non payment strike removed. Unless you get more than one a strike will have no impact on your account and nobody else but the seller will know you have one.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

item and postage

Thankyou for replying, the seller did contact me on Monday evening and said he was going to get a postage quote the following morning (Tuesday) but I have not heard from him since, I've sent him 2 more messages requesting the postage cost and in the last message I asked to either give me the postage or if he is unable to post the painting then to cancel the transaction, I've yet to hear back from him

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

item and postage

With the amount of emails you've already sent over a short period of time, the seller may see you as a possibly troublesome buyer and decide to cancel the transaction anyway.

just sayin'

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

item and postage

thanks for your reply, I agree he may see me as a troublesome buyer but that is mutual, as I see him as a troublesome seller, looking at his feedback I see another buyer also has had problems with him as a seller.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

item and postage

Oh for heaven sake....it is less than 3 days since you won the painting.  If the sller needs to take it to the PO to get the postage you need to be a bit patient.

I would say you are the troublesome one, not the seller as you should have asked for a postage quote before bidding.

The seller knows you want the postage so what is the point in sending message after message.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

item and postage

love a follower lyndal1838, the person that commented prior to my previous comment mentioned the word 'troublesome' and you jump in and mention it too ... if you had read all my comments you would have seen that I didn't have time to ask for a postage quote, the seller told me he would get back to me yesterday but still hasn't, ebay has sent me a message reminding me to pay for it and reading some of ebays help pages it says ... 'In general, you're expected to pay as soon as possible and no later than 2 days after you win or commit to buy an item'. .... bit hard to do when you are being ignored, I understand that people have busy lives but surely taking less than 5 mins to reply isn't that hard and I think thats just a common courtesy particularly as I'm the one prepared to give them my hard earned cash ... if they find that too hard to do they shouldn't be selling in the first place

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply