opinions please

I recently bought a few items on ebay and made a multi payment via paypal. I was sick and did not go on ebay for a couple off days.  When I did I paid for some other items I had bought and on checking my Paypal receipts discovered that one of the previous items had not been paid [even though it was in the original list for paying]  I contacted the seller and explained what had happened and asked if she would provide her banking details and I would make a direct deposit.  While she provided the details she said she would prefer to be paid via Paypal.  I informed her that I would need to transfer funds into my account and that it would take a few days to do so.  She said this would be alright.

As soon as the money showed up in Paypal I made payment only to find that she had taken out a non paying bidder against me - which disappeared when I paid.  On emailing her to find out why she told me she was refunding payment as she had sold the item to someone else. [ this was after she had relisted the item] I was under the impression that she had to wait 8 days before she could put in a claim for non payment and re-list.

When I asked her why she cancelled the sale she said I took too long to pay - she also states she told me in her invoice payment must be made in 2 days.  I have searched the invoices sent by ebay and nowhere does it state any time for payment.  It does say ASAP but as I contacted her within 3 days off the sale [after the faulty payment effort]  and she agreed to wait for her preferred payment method is there anything that I can do regarding this.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

opinions please

nothing that is cost effective that will get you your parcel.

Can report her to eBay for non performance, but again, this wont get you your parcel.

If she has not refunded you your payment, and refuses to do so, open an Item Not Received case with PayPal to recover your money

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

opinions please

Refund came through the other day. Have just reported her to ebay .

Not sure that I would want my parcel from here, even if she hadn't sold it on. If she can't keep her word then how can I be sure about anything else she says or does.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

opinions please

cq_tech
Community Member
Did your seller send you a cancellation advice? If so, you could always refuse to accept it, in which case she won't receive a refund of the associated FVF for that particular sale. It may make her think twice before acting so improperly in future. Of course, if you've already agreed to cancel, then the matter is over and there's very little you can do about it.
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

opinions please

There is no need, or point, in transferring money into your Paypal account before paying. If you just make the payment then Paypal take the money direct from your bank account as an echeque or as an instant payment if you have a debit or credit card linked as a back up funding source.

An echeque takes about 5 days to clear but the seller knows you have paid which is why it is much better than waiting for money to transfer into your Paypal account.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

opinions please

seller did not cancel the sale or even offer me the choice.  she went ahead and put in a 'non payers claim'  and must have relisted the item almost immediately afterwards.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

opinions please

I do not have my Paypal account connected to my everyday  bank account.  - I have a seperate account from which I pay any other bills and Paypal.  Having thought this item [and others bought at same time] had been paid I bought and paid for a couple of other things.  Thus when I discovered the payment hadn't gone through I was short the full payment.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

opinions please

@raasay2 wrote:

seller did not cancel the sale or even offer me the choice.  she went ahead and put in a 'non payers claim'  and must have relisted the item almost immediately afterwards.

she has offered you the choice by opening the dispute - pay in 4 days or the contract is terminated.

BUT

she is in the wrong here as she seems to have relisted the item and sold it to someone else before the contract was terminated - thus your contract is still on foot and legally she is obl;iged to honour it.

The earliest she could have legally relisted without a mutual agreement is the 6 days (US sale) or the 8 datys (aus sale) that it takes for the UID process to operate. And she could only have relisted then if she closed the case and it was unpaid.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

opinions please

@raasay2 wrote:

I do not have my Paypal account connected to my everyday  bank account.  - I have a seperate account from which I pay any other bills and Paypal.  Having thought this item [and others bought at same time] had been paid I bought and paid for a couple of other things.  Thus when I discovered the payment hadn't gone through I was short the full payment.

i don't really follow this, but here is what i have set up.

I have a normal bank account.

With the same bank, I also have another normal account (with a debit card attatched) that I use for PayPal.

Because they are the same bank, I can transfer money between tghe two accounts instantly.

It seems to me your two accounts may be at diofferent banks and thus takes time for the money to transfer.

By setting up as I have - I transfer the money I need into my "PayP{al" vbank account before I try to pay.

That way if the bank doesn't rel;ease the money from my account immediately, I still know that the money is "spent" iykwim.

Often when I pay on a friday night or over the weekend, whilst PayPal send a request for money immediately, the money doesn't actually leave my account till Sunday night - i have seen a few people get caught short by this as then they forget where they are up to and overspend and then their bank refuses PayPal's request when it processes it, so then PayPal says "whoops - you didn't pay us"

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply