"I think I have been scammed $6,000"

PAYPAL GAVE MY $6000 to a sender that was an obvious scammer who didn't even ask for my address & sent the item to skycity posbox without so much as my name on it. There' no excuse for this theft as I told paypal "confirm the delivery address with the seller, he doesn't even know my address". He was in Germany & I am in NZ. Paypal responded with "sorry I know it's not the outcome you hoped for". (DISGUSTING) "but the seller has provided information proving the item was delivered to the general area"! COME ON!!! To make it worse I paid for the item 1/1/15 & the seller canceled it & advised me to seek a refund from paypal & he would agree, after which ceased to answer any more emails, this was due to the fact he didn't want to give paypal his financial & bank info. So 2 weeks past & I called paypal to see where my $6000 refund was, surprisingly they gave me a tracking number from the seller (remember I was told it was cancelled) I immediately rang NZPOST & they found the item ready to go for delivery the next day, without signature confirmation, unfortunately, they could only tell me it wasn't my name or address & it was going to skycity pobox 25km from where I live (general area)? On the paypal receipt for payment it has Terms & CONditions: courier with signature confirmation only & insurance. Paypal gave my $6000 to this scammer, closed the dispute & 1 day later closed my appeal, they had all of the relevant information but decided to break their promise of "weve got your back 100%, if the goods don't arrive we'll give your money back". NZPOST investigator Zoran said "we know what has happened but can't give you any documentation stating where the item was delivered, only the sender can request that info", the info is on the computers waiting for somebody to investigate, it is even noted on the computer that the lady I first spoke with had somebody physically look at the package & confirm it wasn't my name or address. Paypal has said they need to see the info & would reconsider when they receive it. The police won't get involved , so, how many people in the world get scammed like this everyday & have paypal renege on their contractual promise due to a small gap in the system that paypal & others leave open (for what reason) this is paypal knowingly facilitating international criminal activity. OBVIOUSLY THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF THE SENDERS GOODS BEING DELIVERED TO THE BUYER I WANT MY MONEY BACK PAYPAL
Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

i suggest very strongly that you immediately lodge a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

I would also report it to the new Australian Cyber Crime dept
http://www.acorn.gov.au/
Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

@michaelg38173 wrote:
PAYPAL GAVE MY $6000 to a sender that was an obvious scammer who didn't even ask for my address & sent the item to skycity posbox without so much as my name on it. There' no excuse for this theft as I told paypal "confirm the delivery address with the seller, he doesn't even know my address". He was in Germany & I am in NZ. Paypal responded with "sorry I know it's not the outcome you hoped for". (DISGUSTING) "but the seller has provided information proving the item was delivered to the general area"! COME ON!!! To make it worse I paid for the item 1/1/15 & the seller canceled it & advised me to seek a refund from paypal & he would agree, after which ceased to answer any more emails, this was due to the fact he didn't want to give paypal his financial & bank info. So 2 weeks past & I called paypal to see where my $6000 refund was, surprisingly they gave me a tracking number from the seller (remember I was told it was cancelled) I immediately rang NZPOST & they found the item ready to go for delivery the next day, without signature confirmation, unfortunately, they could only tell me it wasn't my name or address & it was going to skycity pobox 25km from where I live (general area)? On the paypal receipt for payment it has Terms & CONditions: courier with signature confirmation only & insurance. Paypal gave my $6000 to this scammer, closed the dispute & 1 day later closed my appeal, they had all of the relevant information but decided to break their promise of "weve got your back 100%, if the goods don't arrive we'll give your money back". NZPOST investigator Zoran said "we know what has happened but can't give you any documentation stating where the item was delivered, only the sender can request that info", the info is on the computers waiting for somebody to investigate, it is even noted on the computer that the lady I first spoke with had somebody physically look at the package & confirm it wasn't my name or address. Paypal has said they need to see the info & would reconsider when they receive it. The police won't get involved , so, how many people in the world get scammed like this everyday & have paypal renege on their contractual promise due to a small gap in the system that paypal & others leave open (for what reason) this is paypal knowingly facilitating international criminal activity. OBVIOUSLY THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF THE SENDERS GOODS BEING DELIVERED TO THE BUYER I WANT MY MONEY BACK PAYPAL

you need to contact authorities in NZ to see what recourse you have.

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Sorry, should read the NZ equivelent which appears to be the Banking Ombusdan Scheme

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

sorry I found it hard to read so just skimmed it. Will pay more attention next time!
Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Tall bearded, Is there any advantage of informing PayPal that it's going to the ombudsman?

image host
Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
Why on earth would you send $6000-odd to a seller who until now has only sold items worth less than A$2 (obviously to build up his feedback)? Even worse, he's registered on the German site which is notorious for being a den of thieves and scammers because anybody from anywhere in the world can sign up to that site.

Having said that, TheNZ Ombudsman is a good place to start and I'd also be letting Paypal know that you're lodging an official complaint with them, as it seems to me that they've breached their duty of care in your case. I'd say the seller has sent a cheap item to a nearby address simply to obtain a legitimate tracking number, but the fact that it was addressed to a completely different person and address should have immediately rung alarm bells with Paypal.

This is not an uncommon scam so I have a feeling this case will eventually be resolved in your favour, but you may need to complain to all of the relevant consumer protection organisations in NZ before that ultimately happens. Please keep us informed as to your progress and the best of luck in the interim.
Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Oh dear, here we go again. On the sellers forum there is a seller who was/is being scammed by a buyer for a substantial amount too. Please, do keep us posted on any news and outcomes of this. Don't give up yet. I wish you all the very best of luck.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply