seller increased postage charge after i paid for item

trudy66
Community Member

I have purchased an expensive antique from UK - the postage listed was AUD $83.78 - I paid immediately. The seller has messaged today (almost 1 week post purchase) saying she/he cant find a postage cost lower than AUD$163.43 - double original cost listed for shipping. I have been asked to either pay up or cancel sale and get a refund back. I dont want to cancel the sale becuase I want this piece which being antique is not replaceable. I replied and suggested Global Shipping because I recently had a large antique sent from Uk via this and cost was AUD$90 which is about what I think it should be. Can I compel the seller to ship or not?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

well Parcel Hero has become the solution and my item has been posted for the amount I originally paid for shipping and no more. The Seller has worked hard to find a solution which is wonderful - I was so close to cancelling the order but gave it overnight to see if she came up with anything, Happy buyer now. Thx for help and suggestions on here - much appreciated.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

No, you cannot compel the seller to send the item and I am not sure that the seller can access the GSP if the item was not listed with it in the first place.

If the seller uses the GSP the shipping cost shows in the listing and when you pay the shipping cost goes directly to the GSP, not the seller.  Your seller would not be able to send the item to the GSP as she has not got the correct address and they have not got the shipping money.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks Lyndal - I thought that might be the case.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

If you really want this item, then best option is to negotiate somethng with the seller. I am guessing there is an insurance component in there somewhere as well.

Seller may have made a mistake with intial shipping estimate, I am guessing they hadn't put much thought into it potentially going to Aus. Either way they are not going to swallow a difference like that, and a lot will depend on how easily they could sell to someone else or not. Comes down to supply and demand.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

The seller may have opted out of the GSP and is now stuck with UK Royal Mail which is very expensive.

image host
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

yes youre right - its caught me at a bad time financially so I just cant fork out that much more for shipping so I guess its got to be cancelled. Thanks for commenting.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

hmmm wonder if seller can opt back in to GSP - suppose it would have to be relisted though.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

well Parcel Hero has become the solution and my item has been posted for the amount I originally paid for shipping and no more. The Seller has worked hard to find a solution which is wonderful - I was so close to cancelling the order but gave it overnight to see if she came up with anything, Happy buyer now. Thx for help and suggestions on here - much appreciated.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I had never heard of Parcel Hero so Googled them.

They are obviously a courier broke as they use a number of well respected international delivery services.

I hope a few more sellers learn about them as they seem to be so much better than the GSP and much cheaper.

I am glad your seller came through.....she deserves kudos for trying so hard.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Good to hear decent sellers still exist.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply