seller not claiming payment through paypal.

In short I bought an item and paid for it at the end of the auction. I paid within an hour. Payment status said it was pending. No worries there here latlely I have had it say that a few times and all was well. So I think nothing of it and a few days later I get my item in the mail. I go on to leave feedback and notice that the payment was still pending. I than go to paypal to see what the issue was. The money was not claimed. I send the seller a message to let them know that their money was still unclaimed and they sent back that they were having some issues and did not know what was going on. 3 weeks went by and the money was still not claimed, so I sent another message to them and it has been a week and I have not heard anything from them as of yet. So it has been a month this money is sitting there. Does anyone know the best way to handle this? 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Hi! Same thing happened to me just recently-tho I did'nt let it drag on for  a month.Went to my paypal a/c & cancelled the payment Obtained their contact details(via Advanced Search),called the seller,received bank a/c details & deposited funds I had the item & was quite happy & they appeared to be unable to access the funds from paypal for whatever reason.

Hope this helps- it worked for me!

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

There's not a lot you can do if the seller won't reply to messages, as you'd have no alternative method for sending payment if you cancelled it. 

I don't know what will ultimately happen if the payment remains unclaimed, but without any specific direction from the seller, it's best to leave it to them to try and resolve.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I would guess that the sellers PayPal account is either restricted or suspended and they can't accept payment. Until they resolve their issue with PayPal they can't accept your money. If you are honest, email the seller again and tell them to send you a payment request once they get their problem sorted if the earlier payment lapses. Your payment request can either be cancelled you (but then technically you become a "non paying buyer") or the payment will lapse and be returned to you by default.
Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I have had a Paypal account for about 7 years & today I found out that U have to not only register all your email addresses with Paypal, but U also have to register all your eBay accounts with them.

I think that not everyone would know this & that's maybe where they are running into trouble.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@imperialdream wrote:

I have had a Paypal account for about 7 years & today I found out that U have to not only register all your email addresses with Paypal, but U also have to register all your eBay accounts with them.

I think that not everyone would know this & that's maybe where they are running into trouble.

Are you seriously suggesting that anyone would not know that they had to link their ebay accounts to their paypal accounts?

How would they think they would be able to pay for purchases or accept payments from buyers?

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

This seems to be a ploy for some sellers to not accept paypal and the associated fees. They tell you there is something wrong with their account and can you pay by a less secure form of payment like bank deposit. Be careful doing this as you have no protection if something should go wrong.
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

Hi! Same thing happened to me just recently-tho I did'nt let it drag on for  a month.Went to my paypal a/c & cancelled the payment Obtained their contact details(via Advanced Search),called the seller,received bank a/c details & deposited funds I had the item & was quite happy & they appeared to be unable to access the funds from paypal for whatever reason.

Hope this helps- it worked for me!

i think that was a really nice thing to do.

Lots of people would have just gone "yippee - i got the goods and my money".

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@imperialdream wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that anyone would not know that they had to link their ebay accounts to their paypal accounts?

How would they think they would be able to pay for purchases or accept payments from buyers?

and from memory, when I started a new selling account eBay wouldn't let me list until I had set up some kind of automatic payment method and also put in a safe payment method for how I would be paid - think it even sent me to the PayPal site to link it all up (as PayPal was the method I chose)

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

The payment will be cancelled by Paypal if it is unclaimed for over 30 days. I too would have just asked them for their bank details if I had received the item. Alternatively you could ask for a different paypal email address, you can have up to 8 linked to one Paypal account.

While you have to link a Paypal account to ebay that has nothing to do with which email address you have in a listing for Paypal payments to go to. the most usual reason for this happening is the seller has made a hard to spot typo when inputting the payment email address, a comma instead of a full stop for instance.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply