seller wants me to cancel purchase.

adriano711
Community Member

I recently bought an iPod for an amazing price.

While on the home page I noticed it and the price was too good to refuse; AU$8.80.

I purchased and paid with PayPal immediately.

An Order Confirmation came through and the next day I received an email requesting me to cancel the purchase due to the wrong price being set.

I don't buy a lot from ebay but after receiving an Order Confirmation I would consider a del is a deal. Or am I mistaken?

Please advise.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

For one thing, the buyer can't cancel 

How much experience as a seller does the person have?

Making a mistake with whatever price they 'meant' to put is one thing

The majority of sellers with basic knowledge of how eBay works would know very well only they can cancel 

So either the seller is super inexperienced or questionable 

Either way, no, a seller cannot be forced to sell

BUT if they do not honour the sale, you can open an item not received dispute and leave the appropriate feedback 

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

I understand your disappointment, but an order confirmation is automatic after payment, and sellers still have the right to cancel if there has been a mistake. It is a defect for them, and if they have a certain number of defects they are penalized, but they are not forced to sell if there has been a mistake, and not even if an auction doesn't reach the price they wanted (this is more annoying I think, as if they don't want a low price they can just set a higher starting price rather than disappointing the winner).

It is not you who should cancel though, but the seller. Maybe the seller asked you to cancel to avoid a defect, although it is not even possible after an hour for a buyer to request a cancellation.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply