shill bidding

is shill bidding is it illegal

Message 1 of 70
Latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

shill bidding

go-tazz
Community Member

The occasional seller tries it but it can easily be avoided.

If you want to place a bid just place the minimum amount to start

with.

Any item you are interested  just put it in your watch list.

When bidding on an auction only bid in the last thirty seconds with your maximum bid as shill bidders don't want to win the item.

This way you will not be disappointed if you don't win.

Or just use a free sniping tool such as http://www.gixen.com

Message 31 of 70
Latest reply

shill bidding

harddrive2012
Community Member

That's some good advice. Maybe I should pay more attention to what I am buying and bidding on.

Message 32 of 70
Latest reply

shill bidding

I'm seeing a very similar pattern, the evidence is there in spades, and there for all to see who bother to look, yet eBay choose to do nothing when I reported it.

Message 33 of 70
Latest reply

shill bidding

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It would have been investigated when you reported it but if ebay cannot find a direct link between the buyer and seller they cannot do anything.

Message 34 of 70
Latest reply

shill bidding

Very hard to prove shill bidding, even if it seems very obvious to you it won't seem obvious at all to eBay. A clear example is where the seller ALWAYS has the same 'bidder' (or bidders) on his extremely variable items, not matter what they are. And when you get beaten on an auction, the seller contacts you to say he had a 'second' copy of the same thing available, or the winning bidder hadn't paid up so you can buy it after all.

I've made detailed reports to eBay in a few cases like that, but they always say it's 'not enough evidence'.

Message 35 of 70
Latest reply

shill bidding

There's a handy feature under advanced search where you select 'find items by bidder' then enter a user name, and tick 'include completed listings. Try it with the name 'marmajute'. How's that for evidence? 'not enough' according to eBay!

Message 36 of 70
Latest reply

shill bidding

PMSL that seller will have a lot in fees to pay for no sales.

Surely if a cancel request was sent to every one to get the FVF back it would ring alarm bells.

Message 37 of 70
Latest reply

shill bidding

Poor marmajute ( Feedback Score Of 6 ) obviously loves this seller so much and they do not even give her FB ๐Ÿ˜ž    LOL

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 38 of 70
Latest reply

shill bidding

That would be funny IF it wasn't so obvious ๐Ÿ˜

Message 39 of 70
Latest reply

shill bidding

go-tazz
Community Member

Update on the shiller from post 35 is that they are NARU'd.

Unfortunately the TRS has been allowed to keep listing auctions,(normally if found guilty of shill bidding they can only list BIN's for a month),:-(

It also looks like they must have been informed how to shill correctly,(must be one of the advantages of being a TRS) as their new shiller hasn't won an auction yet, X-(

And they wonder why members get fed up when they allow this sort of carp to continue.

Message 40 of 70
Latest reply