tracking numbers

I know that there are several sellers who participate on this, "buyers" page, and the questions I have are directed more in their direction than to anybody else. first of all I would like to know what the procedure is to generate a tracking number, further to that I would like to know if it is possible to generate that number and then not proceed with the actual physical posting of the item that the number is designated to. If that is possible would a buyer checking the status of that number see that the item was in he system somewhere?

I have no idea how this procedure works and would be grateful for information. 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

tracking numbers

If you process the postage through ebay the tracking number will show where it says tracking under the purchase in the sellers sold list and under the purchased item in the buyers purchase history.

Once you process the postage via ebay, if the tracking number is entered into the Aust Post tracking site ( http://auspost.com.au/track/track.html  ) then it will show as  Shipping information received by Australia Post then once lodged at the PO over the counter and scanned in it will show as Processed through Australia Post facility and the time and date.

Then it will show again once delivered to the address.

If a seller enters a tracking number but does not post it then the buyer would win a dispute as it will not show as lodged or delivered.

If the seller posts the parcel at a PO and pays postage there then they need to manually add the tracking number to be able to prove postage.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

tracking numbers

In short if they use Ebay labels or Click and send it means they have processed the label and for prepaid methods (satchels etc) it has been paid for. Being marked as sent is then automated. It can still be sitting in their out basket. Though the timer is running on their delivery window, meaning countdown to when a seller can open item not recieved. So thats not a wise thing for sellers to do

Additionally it is possible to just manually mark an item as sent and then enter any old tracking number. However if you try tracking it the number will show as an invalid number. manually entered ones can also be the subject to typo errors

The only guarantee is an AP lodged item that will have been scanned into the system at l;odgement. The rest dont show until they reach a delivery centre or 

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

tracking numbers

I would like to say on behalf of this topic that it is very important to provide the correct tracking number to avoid any issues and negative feedback. I strongly believe the sellers should pay careful attention when posting tracking numbers and not have the buyer thinking that their item has landed in another country.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

tracking numbers

@lane-ends wrote:

The only guarantee is an AP lodged item that will have been scanned into the system at l;odgement. The rest dont show until they reach a delivery centre or 

Yes if the seller uses Click & send and posts the item in a post box (ie not over the counter at AP) Your trackig no# will show "No events currently found" until it reaches the destination sorting office/delivery centre. This is currently the case with one of my purchases coming up from Melbourne, which was posted yesterday. \

You can however, ring AP and they will tell you if it is in the system, or not.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

tracking numbers

Thanks to all who have participated in this post - I have a better understanding of the process now and I have reached the conclusion that the process is not easy to exploit, and a better system to resolve INRs than not having a system at all. I would suppose that not all transactions, that sellers process, posess a tracking number.... is it ok to ask the seller to deliver with tracking and does it involve extra postage costs?  

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

tracking numbers

@skyrider12-au wrote:

Thanks to all who have participated in this post - I have a better understanding of the process now and I have reached the conclusion that the process is not easy to exploit, and a better system to resolve INRs than not having a system at all. I would suppose that not all transactions, that sellers process, posess a tracking number.... is it ok to ask the seller to deliver with tracking and does it involve extra postage costs?  

No, if it's a parcel because tracking is included. Yes, if a letter, as the only option is registered and it will cost you about $4. But you are covered by Paypal and/or eBay, so why pay extra? The seller assumes the risk by sending untracked.

I have sent at least 1000 large letters and only ever had one INR claim. So self-insurance has cost me about 1c per. I spend that much on clingwrap for waterproofing.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply