why does ebay make the buyer pay for the sellers fault when Ebay is the retailer they should do it

Why is that when you buy a product from overseas and the seller provides a product that is not as described the buyer is penalised by having to pay return postage and time.

Ebay should be paying for return postage when a seller supplies the incorrect item

I am disabled and live in a town of only 330 people

When the seller cant print the return postage label eBay forces me to travel in to town 80km and pay for the return postage, I am not compensated for my time fuel or trouble it causes. I am also limited in the time period 8 days that I can return the product, I normally go to town every two weeks because I have to load up a wheel chair and its an exhausting event, its basically a day wasted when I have to heed to their demands.

If the international seller cant print a return postage label then they should not sell in Australia.

I am now going to approach the ACC, the local member and the media over ebays greed and demands when the the seller does the wrong thing.

Ebay is the retailer its their responsibility, they sold the product so why does the buyer have to wear the cost and pay for their mistake.

Ebay charge 12-15% on items sold and they are more interested in profit than customer support they are focused on profit only.

I would like a response from The ebay CEO on this matter because I am sick of going hungry because they cant fix their own mistakes.

Ebay is just a bunch of big bullies that care for the seller because they pay the bills but then load all the costs on to the buyer when they do the wrong thing.

Ebay say they will pay return postage in 10 days but thats **bleep** I been waiting more than 2 weeks for several returns and I am made to travel 80km and burn fuel load up the wheel chair and waste several hours trying to return the item in the time from they speculate. They dont offer to compensate me for my time and travel cost, discusting ebay

If ebay cant guarantee to organise return postage costs for a seller then that seller should not be able to sell in Australia that's it.

Ebay use a joomla cms with a custom template

here's my challenge write some code setup a company that sells for just 3% 2% costs 1% profit and focus on turnover and customer support

You would leave ebay in the dust as they have no customer support only greed

Have a great day

Tom

I would appreciate a response from the CEO regarding this matter or it may reign code and cypher's on ebays websites

Its good to see how people like to criticize rather than be constructive on this board. Does it make you feel good to put other people down rather than help. It would help if you read the post first too!
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

why does ebay make the buyer pay for the sellers fault when Ebay is the retailer they should do it

I have had so many items not as described this year its beyond a joke

personally I think the sellers do it to move items they cant sell hoping the buying wont make the effort

Ebay just let them do it no penalty or apology to the customer

Its good to see how people like to criticize rather than be constructive on this board. Does it make you feel good to put other people down rather than help. It would help if you read the post first too!
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

My, My, you really need to read up on the way Ebay works, and the return process.

Ebay is not the seller, it is just the advertising platform. Just like a newspaper that has advertising in it. 

Overseas sellers cannot print return labels, that is not how it works. There are other processes to to get a refund or replacement (look it up) without necessarily having to return the product. Might be better if you don't buy from overseas sellers at all - evey transaction has some sort of risk, no matter where and what you buy. You can only protect yourself if you know all the buyer protection processes.

Please don't make your living in a small town and being disabled an issue. There are many sellers in the same boat. Sure, it can make things more difficult but don't expect extra treatment because of it.

I see you are angry, but if you calm down and ask for advice on a particular issue you will get it here from experienced sellers and buyers who know all the angles.

Threatening Ebay with bad publicity or legal action will do nothing. You are nothing to them and they have a team of lawyers who know every part of consumer laws.

Latest reply

As said there are ways of getting the seller to pay for the return but because you don't know this you have decided to say a whole lot of nonsense out of ignorance.

image host
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I don’t expect extra treatment I never have if you can’t be constructive don’t comment I did not ask for sympathy
Or your view I am not a seller either it’s to do with purchases
You will get what you give
Thanks
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

You will not get a reply from ebay....they do not read the boards at all and certainly do not deign to answer on them.

You cannot be provided with a return postage label by an overseas seller as it is an Australia Post service which is not available to overseas sellers.

If you want to be reimbursed for return postage to overseas you would be better to use a paypal dispute AFTER signing up for their Return Postage option....although there is a top limit on the amount that can be claimed and it can take a while for the money to be refunded.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

If you politely ask a question or ask for advice on a specific subject then posters here will be happy to help. And sending non-specific private messages also does not help. Going on a rant only gets peoples backs up.

Latest reply

@thcinaus wrote:
I don’t expect extra treatment I never have if you can’t be constructive don’t comment I did not ask for sympathy
Or your view I am not a seller either it’s to do with purchases
You will get what you give
Thanks

okay, I’ll have a go at this one.

These boards are not a way to communicate with eBay as they are run by a company called Lithium BUT the people who reply to Opening Posters (OPs) are just regular members with experience in using eBay as buyers, sellers or both, and who volunteer their time and efforts to help those who come to the boards looking for help/advice.

The CEO of eBay will not be reading your posts.  The people who read your posts will not be informing the CEO that you are waiting for his/her call.

If you have come here only expecting supportive comments then you will be disappointed.  Many members who post here will tell it like it is, and this sometimes comes across as being uncaring, insensitive and unsympathetic to and OP’s situation even though they actually post appropriate comments to help OPs.

Regulars who help out many members sometimes post the word ‘seller’ when they mean ‘buyer’ and vice versa.  However, maranock’s use of the word ‘seller’ is appropriate for the point they were making in their post as they were saying that many sellers live in small country towns and have disabilities and are therefore in the same boat as you . . . . . so your snipe at them is not appropriate.

Now, buying on eBay . . . . . . it can be very convenient when things go well, and a pain in the rrrr’s when things go pear shaped.  There are some things that I would not consider buying on eBay.  These include higher priced items, breakables, plug-in electronics, things that need a warranty, mobile phones, televisions, country specific items (can include GPS units).

Most of these exclusions can be sourced from large Australian stores or their online platforms.  These items would come with all the consumer protections you are expecting . . . . . . and would be actionable under Australian consumer laws i.e. consumer affairs, ACCC, Financial Ombudsman Service etc.

eBay do not own the items that members buy on eBay, so those consumer protections do not apply to your dealings with eBay. For the main, eBay operate outside of these protections.

As for overseas sellers generating or printing postage labels for returns, they can’t . . . . . because they are overseas.  This is one of the pitfalls of buying from overseas sellers.

I agree with your “you will get what you give” comment . . . . . but if you dish out the agro comments you will get the same back.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@maranock, a new month, new adventures, I’ll let you do the honours when you can Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@thcinaus wrote:

I have had so many items not as described this year its beyond a joke

personally I think the sellers do it to move items they cant sell hoping the buying wont make the effort

Ebay just let them do it no penalty or apology to the customer

you could always leave appropriate feedback for the sellers who send ‘not as described’ items.

Looking at the feedback you have left for others I see that you haven’t left any feedback that would indicate that you have had so many problems . . . . . . . unless we count the positive “excellent seller solved my problem would thoroughly recommend” comment you left for dozens of sellers

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply