Sick cat need help!

Yesterday evening my cat started acting strange. He was crouching in various places (including on my lap) as if needing to go to the toilet but he hasn't..

He is still doing it today and hasn't been able to sleep for longer than 10 minutes at a time, every time he finds somewhere comfy he tosses and turns for a bit and it looks like he is about to sleep but he just jumps down from the lounge and goes somewhere else where he will do the same thing..

I feed him mainly dry food so I am wondering if this could be it... He just doesn't seem himself today and I am in a panic as everything I have found on Google suggests either Cystitis, Crystals or a UTI neither of which I can afford to have looked at..

I know I need to get him to a vet, but at this time I have no access to a car so all I can do is keep an eye on him and sit here crying

:_|

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Sick cat need help!

So sorry to hear your cat is unwell. You must be so worried.

Maybe constipation?

Is he a house cat? Does he go to toilet regularly?

I got a couple of links which might help.

http://pictures-of-cats.org/home-treatment-for-cat-constipation.html

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/cat-constipation-and-fecal-impaction

Maybe you can ring up your vet for advice even though you can't take him.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Sick cat need help!

I took him to a vet last night and he had a blocked urinary tract. They flushed him out and kept him overnight.. They said he is doing well and I can get him this afternoon

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Sick cat need help!

A blocked urinary tract sounds painful. A poor boy.

But I'm glad to hear he is ok now 🙂

Photobucket
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Sick cat need help!

I am so relieved to read you got him to the vet.  Urinary tract infections in males can even be fatal if left untreated.  I've had female cats with this type of infection too and it can be painful and cause a lot of distress.

Did the vet mention changing his diet?  Unfortunately these type of issues can return.  It may pay to have a contingency plan for getting him to the vet quickly just in case.  Also, I've seen a mobile vet service in my area.  Do you have anything like that where you are?  I've also heard there are some vets who do housecalls.  It's worth looking into that just to cover all bases.

When one of my cats had thyroid problems and had to have blood tests and take tablets daily, I set aside some money as a 'vet emergency fund' just in case and would top it up whenever I could.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Sick cat need help!

I took him to a vet last night and he had a blocked urinary tract. They flushed him out and kept him overnight.. They said he is doing well and I can get him this afternoon

When you mentioned that you only give him biscuits I thought of urinary tract infection. I was told by a vet years ago biscuits can cause that in males. Even if biscuits are cheaper please give your cat meat and fish most of the time. If he becomes unwell again I advise you to never give him biscuits again. Of course it's best to obtain a vet's opinion but that's the safest thing to do. Every so often I give my cats biscuits and my males are young but if there's a problem there will be no more biscuits. I hope your boy will improve quickly.

Tramps like us,
Baby we were born to run....

Bruce Springsteen
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Sick cat need help!

According my vet I trust very well, feeding dry cat food only can cause urinary tract infection for male cats if they don't drink enough water. So he said it's a good idea to give male cat tin or pouch food as well we dry food. In that way cats can get more liquid in.

My cats have tin food for breakfast and dry food whenever they whinge for food. If they are lucky they get another tin food for dinner. My boy cats loves soft tin food. My girl prefer dry food.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Sick cat need help!

I understand u don't have a car at the moment but if u have one near you some animal shelters have vets in them. I have been taking my  pets to an animal shelter vet for years and they are much cheaper and since changing my pets don't seem as scared there.

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Sick cat need help!

Also I did read u took him to the vet hope he's feeling better just giving the info for next time but hope there is no next time

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Sick cat need help!

Ouch, UTI is very painful from what I understand and can indeed be fatal.  I'm so glad

you got him fixed up.  My cat did have it and after that I took him right of kibble, though 

did introduce it back slowly after a long time.  I used the one that says on the packet it is suitable 

for UTIs.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply
Group details
Cat Rules! - Everyday is Caturday -
Cat Rules! - Everyday is Caturday -
121 members Open Group Since ‎03-07-2013 08:14 PM
It's time to form a group for all cat lovers and crazy cat ladies. Let's post funny cat pictures and our own cat pictures. Have fun talking about cat and other things too.
It's time to form a group for all cat lovers and crazy cat ladies. Let's post funny cat pictures and our own cat pictures. Have fun talking about cat and other things too.