A couple of questions with this one, german figurine

I picked this piece up recently and am planning to list it but I'm not sure if there is a special name for the 'hard lace' or is that the best search term I can use to describe it.

I'm also a little lost with the backstamp, does anyone recognise it or point me in the right direction to research it further. I found a very similar mark on ebay but that has the name Dresden underneath where mine doesn't.

Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Cosmos, I am not an expert, but this lady is definately an older production.

The crossed swords have been used in Dresden and by Meissen porcelain. I hope this link will help you.

http://www.oldandsold.com/pottery/germany19.shtml

She is beautiful.

Erica :-x

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks Erica, I'm just on my lunch break but will have a better look at the link when I get home tonight.

She is quite charming but I'm trying to be ruthless so don't encourage me :^O

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I'm also a little lost with the backstamp, does anyone recognise it or point me in the right direction to research it further. I found a very similar mark on ebay but that has the name Dresden underneath where mine doesn't.

I would think you are right - that this is a generic Dresden type backstamp, which sometimes would have the word Dresden as part of the mark. As you say there are quite a few lace figurines on eBay with similar "crossed swords" marks.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Cosmo, be careful as the mark looks wrong. The crossed swords do not look right especially the right hand sword. Be prepared to find out she is a copy.

Take a look here.

http://www.antique-marks.com/meissen-marks.html

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Hi Cosmo:-(:-(

bsal is correct

- that exact backstamp is listed as a "Meissen Fake Mark ( made in China ) ca 1990 "

she is still a pretty impressive girl

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I am sure she would be saleable as a decorative item, suitably priced.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Oh phooey ;\ I won't be retiring on this one then and I'm pretty sure I can't put any reference to Meissen or Dresden or Germany in the title either.

Sooo is there another name for the hard lace?

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

its still called dresden lace even if it is made somewhere else, its safe to use the term. collectors know whats what anyway.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks for all the valuable info, it's very much appreciated. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply