Claret Jug staining. Help needed

I have a lovely crystal etched body with I think, EPNS handle, collar and cover.

I realised tonight that we had not emptied some old red wine from it and there was mould on the old wine.

When I tipped it out and tried to clean it, there is a thick sticky red residue on the base of the jug that I can't move with washing.

Does anyone have another solution please?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

๐Ÿ™‚ This may sound a bit nutty ๐Ÿ™‚ Have you any Steradent Tablets for Dentures ? If not, go to the Supermarket and buy some.  Fill the Jug with warm water and drop one in. Let it dissolve and leave it overnight. Empty it out and see if its gone ?  Chances are it has, but if not, do it agian until it has. It works 99.99% of the time.  Hope it does for you too ๐Ÿ™‚ 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

๐Ÿ™‚ This may sound a bit nutty ๐Ÿ™‚ Have you any Steradent Tablets for Dentures ? If not, go to the Supermarket and buy some.  Fill the Jug with warm water and drop one in. Let it dissolve and leave it overnight. Empty it out and see if its gone ?  Chances are it has, but if not, do it agian until it has. It works 99.99% of the time.  Hope it does for you too ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks Horizon. I will try that tomorrow.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

If you search

Riedel-Wine-Bottle-Decanter-Cleaner-Beads

they are available in Australia on eBay. Haven't tried them myself but they sound excellent - I have just ordered some. There is a you tube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpTZdwirXVM

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Horizon, I have heard steradent works well for many stains on hard surfaces.

Siddies, similarly I use rice for vases and such to grind away the stains, so to speak. 

image host
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Horizon, I have heard steradent works well for many stains on hard surfaces.

Siddies, similarly I use rice for vases and such to grind away the stains, so to speak. 

Yes I have always used rice as well (and I am a denture tab fan.) However often the rice does not work, or seems to take forever. The Riedel thingies look very convincing, and have great reviews; they are not expensive and as I clean a lot of glass stuff, I thought I would give them a go. I have every known-to-man cleaning brush, wand etc but often there are bits you just can't reach.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I think you are right, the weight of the beads is probably what gets the stains off as opposed to rice.

image host
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Hi, How did you get on with the cleaning of the Jug. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Horizon, you ae an absolute legend, the best! I couldn't get the brand you suggested but bought another one and both the claret jug and red wine decanter are pristine and gleaming. It took a few nights of soaking and shaking but worked a treat .

So thank you!Heart

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@siddieswans wrote:

If you search

Riedel-Wine-Bottle-Decanter-Cleaner-Beads

they are available in Australia on eBay. Haven't tried them myself but they sound excellent - I have just ordered some. There is a you tube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpTZdwirXVM

Just thought I would update this. We have now used these beads several times with excellent results. Use a funnel to pour the beads into the decanter / vase / perfume / whatever; add a little warm water, swirl. May take a few goes, depending on how stubborn the stain is. Pour the beads back out into a small strainer, allow to dry on paper towel, pour back into the little jar they come in. Of course, they will not do anything for actual GLASS SICKNESS, but if like us you regularly clean glass (or even china) vases etc where the design stops you from getting a brush or similar into the dirty area, I would recommend these. They produce good QUICK results.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply