Help Identifying Porcelain Mark Limoges

Hi

I bought this item as part of a group of Limoges porcelain trinket boxes but am having trouble finding the origin and history of one of them as pictured.

It is a lovely blue and gold footed casket trinket box with the mark LI underneath.  I have exhausted all my research and was wondering if anyone knows of the mark.

Many thanks in advance.

Evelyn

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Here is a second photo of the casket itself in case that helps. 🙂

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks for the link, I had found another similar page with some helpful info even though the signature remains a mystery. 

Yes I am fearing that this one might be a fake, though a pretty one at that. The hinge certainly sticks out.  Thankfully the other Limoges check out but this one is the oddity.  I can't even find it on the list of fake limoges stamps as described on one website, particularly Chinese fakes.

I guess I can sell it as a pretty box if nothing else comes to light. 🙂

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Here are some examples of fake Limoges marks - this may be the site you found

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/387028161699305982/

I don't think your box is trying to be a fake as such; it is simply a china box with metal hardware in the style of Limoges but certainly without that quality. To me there is nothing about the LI mark that signifies Limoges. Just a modern copy in the same way that there are modern copies of Murano glass etc.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Yes that is very similar if not the same site.  And as you say it may not be pretending to be a Limoges at all. The LI mark underneath may possibly be someone's (the designer or maker) initials. 

I will list it as it stands - a footed casket / trinket box in a European style.  🙂

Thanks for everyone's input. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply