Item description, pre loved "excellent condition", jewellery question.

Hi,  recently bought a sapphire ring from the states,  the description is "excellent condition", pre loved.

One of the sapphires has a few tiny nicks along the top edge of the stone.  Contacted the seller with my disappointment and was brushed off that it is in fact excellent condition for a preloved piece.  The seller offered a refund on return of the item, but I would have to pay the postage of approx.  What should I do,  TIA.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hmm. As a seller of vintage jewellery, so many variables here.

But the main question I assume is, what do you do with the ring? Well only you can answer that. To obtain a refund, whether through the goodwill of the seller or through PayPal, you would have to return the ring through a trackable method, so it will not be a cheap exercise. Are you so disappointed with it, that you can't wear it? Is the damage so bad that everyone will notice it? It may relate to how much you paid for the ring - if it was really expensive, you may think it better to bite the bullet and pay for its return. If you decide this, it is better to do it by opening a INAD dispute through PayPal, as PayPal will refund you as soon as you upload the tracking number of the return parcel to the dispute.

If you think the ring was a bargain price, and the return cost is hardly worth it, then perhaps you can live with the condition of the ring. Is you question now, how do you treat the seller? Well only my opinion, but as they have offered what they are obliged to, any Feedback should not be negative. As a seller I used to refund return postage in the case of a return because the buyer was unhappy, but really with high cost of the return method of postage demanded by PayPal, it does become unmanageable.

Unless this seller has a history of such "mistakes", I do have sympathy. We are all human, they may not have even been aware of any damage. Pre-loved jewellery is just that - it should not be expected to look like something just off the production line. What you have asked highlights why so many eBay sellers do not sell overseas any more. If there is a problem with an item sold within your own country, it is so much easier, quicker and cheaper to resolve the situation with a return. Just my opinion, probably has not helped you very much. 😐

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply siddieswans from a sellers' view.  As a buyer I think the nicks should have been mentioned and the item not listed as "excellent condition".  Still undecided as I really like the ring but now not as much.   

tip toe through the tulips
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Don't assume Paypal will find in your favour either - I recently bought an old (not antique) pocketwatch that was clearly listed as working both in the title, the listing and in emails from the seller - it worked for a maximum of 30 minutes before stopping  and Paypal found in the sellers favour when I opened an INAD dispute - and I now have a $120 paperweight. 

cheers

Rae

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply