Ladies Dance Card Container continued

A couple of extra photos to assist with valuation.

t.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

A dance card holder usually had little sleeves of ivory or similar and with a small pencil attached. The lady would use the pencil to write the name of her next dance partner. Yours looks more like a Calling Card holder.

As you say, without any markings on it, it is unlikely to be made of any valuable metal eg, silver or gold, and is most likely either  just silver plate or steel. Again, as the case does not have any "hallmarks" it would unlikely to be "Tortoise Shell" and probably just a plastic imitation.

It may even be a cigarette case.

Others more in the know will come along soon and give more advise.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

my thoughts are similar to bsal's more likely a card holder

from the interior, and the curved edges, I'd say it was made in the 1940s 50s, by someone like Stratton England who made similar styles in powder compacts and purse mirrors.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks bsal6 and Putney your input, very much appreciated.

I’ve been corrected by my O/H, he agrees with you that it is not Tortoiseshell, but enamelled, definitely not plastic. There are two small clips inside at the right hand base of the item approx 2cms apart. Most certainly not a cigarette case as it’s way too thin, you could possibly be correct about it being a Calling Card holder. The dear old lady who sold this item to us was 95 and about to go into a Nursing Home, the holder belonged to her Grandmother, which dates it at 1880 or earlier, may have initially been her Grandfathers and DID contain his Calling Cards.

I also made an error when I said the old piece of paper inside stated “Ladies 19th Century Dance Card Container”, it actually states “Ladies 19th Century Dance Programme Container”.

It is certainly a fascinating and mysterious little item.

Photo of piece of paper which we found inside the case.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

To me the design of the clip dates it to the 20th century - possibly around the 1930's, 1940's as suggested. It is the kind of clip one sees on money purses. If you search eBay for antique card cases, you will see a variety of clips and catches but none that look like yours. I'm not sure what it could be but I think it dates around 1930, 1940. The design of the metal work is very reminiscent of compacts, as has already been noted.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Made yet another mistake, which O/H was very pleased to point out,he loves it when I'm incorrect -  95 year-old lady actually said  the item belonged to her Mother, NOT Grandmother. Didn't pay very much for it, so if little old lady was suffering from memory loss (like me), doesn't matter terribly, it's still a lovely little and unusual antique item. Might take it to our local Gympie Antique Dealer perhaps she can cast some more light on its actual age.

Many thanks to all for your replies.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply