Mexican and Donkey wall vase

5kazam
Community Member

I'm of the understanding that a lot of these were Australian made during the 50's era, but others were made in Japan.  I hope someone with a lot more knowledge of vintage ceramics than I have could give me an indication whether this is Australian.  It has been hanging in mum's house since the early 50's.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Really need a back view photo.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

These are the only photos I have taken.  The weight is just shy of 16cm tall x 11.5cm across the base on all four sides.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Oops - just posted the pics on the wrong post.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I'll take a photo of the back and post it soon.
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Well, now that I've got my act together - here is a pic of the back.  And I noticed that there is a small 'C' or 'L' (see following photo)

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Goodness me!!  I'm not allowed to post more than one message/photo within 3600 seconds.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@5kazam wrote:

Goodness me!!  I'm not allowed to post more than one message/photo within 3600 seconds.

Oh just ignore that - stupid glitch message that occurs occasionally. Thanks for the photos - sadly they do not help me. There were Oz potteries who made this type of ware (as you say, very popular in the 1950's) - like Florann, Marie Gardiner, Vande made some Mexican theme wall hangings.However all these would have been signed, and really to me this does not look to be of good enough quality. There were a number of named Japan potteries that made wall hangings - like Lefton, Napco - some of these would have just had stickers (rather than Japan stamps), which may of course be lost. Or it may have come from any one of the small backyard Australian makers who proliferated in the 1950's, and may once have had their sticker attached. It is just my opinion, but I don't really think it affects value greatly if you can't attribute it - either someone will want the kitsch look or they won't. But hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply