Slabbed coins, a great way to do your money cold.

Coin in slabs graded by 3rd party grading companies.

This is an area you need to be very careful of and consider whether money is an issue or not. 

If money is not the issue, enjoy yourself, have a good time.

If you are treating them as an "investment" consider this:

Many slabbed coins I have seen appear to be overgraded and way, way overpriced. They are a truly lousy investment.

High grade Australian coins pre 1940 or proof pre-decimal Australian coins - I can see some logic behind collecting slabbed examples of these, however, 3rd party grading companies seem to overgrade Australian pre-decimal coins. 

The American Numerical or Sheldon system, a number is assigned to the coin, in most cases it seems, WITHOUT taking into account the overall APPEARANCE! 

So, you have the ridiculous situation of let's say, a 1939 sixpence with 15 carbon spots all over it, grades MS64 and priced at $1250.

Or a 1927 Canberra florin, almost black in colour, downright ugly, graded MS 64 and priced at $400.

No one who knows about coins would pay more than $10 each for such coins.

Technically they might be a 64 or whatever number is given to them, but the carbon spots or black tone totally ruin the appearance,  making them next to worthless to anyone with half a brain and a pair of eyes.

This failure to discount the grade because of the appearance is a BIG problem with this area, in my opinion.

Australian coins after 1940 as an investment, in slabs, just forget it, most of them are reasonably common, even in high grades, not worth getting them slabbed (unless you are re-selling them) or paying the prices that dealers of slabbed coins charge, remember, just to get the coin slabbed costs $30 or more, which is the realistic value of many later high grade pre-decimal coins after 1940.

Here a few of examples of truly idiotic prices paid for slabbed coins recently.

1964 Penny MS 67 $1200 - it is a very common 50c to $20 coin no matter what the grade

1943S MS 67 6d $11,000. Are you joking?? It is a $20 to $100 coin tops, often comes along in high grade.

1951 PL 6d $8000. More money than sense, a $50 coin at best, anyone with any knowledge knows this coin often comes along in high grade.

1958 MS 67 Penny $1500! And not even a proof. Forget it, it is a $50 coin tops.

1970 Cook 50c Specimen (you can buy them for $5 to $10) for $1500

There are strange people out there on ego trips with more money than common sense. 

Still, good luck to them, if you have got the money, someone will take it from you..

Good times for a few dealers who are making a lot of money out of it, they buy 3 million dollar houses and call them "the house that slabbed coins built".

Good times for the coin grading companies, who are making a lot of money out of it.

The American coin grading system from MS 62 through MS70 is a ridiculous exercise in hair splitting, pandering to a bunch of morons on an ego trip. 

I challenge anyone to show me the difference in coins graded MS 65 or above. 

There is virtually none, certainly nothing a normal person could notice, but their is a big, big price difference.

As more coins are slabbed, as they are being rapidly, the price will drop, especially for the more common dates after the 1930s. 

Also and most importantly, try taking your slabbed coins back to where you bought them and getting most of your money back, absolutely no chance... 

NO dealers who sell slabbed coins want to buy them back. They want to buy raw coins they can get slabbed and charge a big margin on.

The dealer/s will not be interested in your slabbed coins at anything like what you paid for them, or will say they are not buying at this time. 

You bet they won't be interested, not at idiotic prices such as those mentioned above, when anyone with any knowledge can buy them for the prices I stated.

I cannot in good conscience, try to hang people with slabbed examples of common date pre-decimal coins or decimal coins, even though they obviously have much more money than they need and yes, I am both jealous and fascinated by how some people can be parted with their money... Example. 1978 proof 1c in a slab at $75. You can buy the ENTIRE 1978 proof set, still sealed in its case for $30, so why buy individual coins at 10 times as much? Just crazy.

I can see the value in a historical gold sovereign at $450 or so, it is backed by a gold value and also has a collector interest.

Or, say, for $400 you can get at least 15 ounces of silver for that, at the current fairly low prices. 

A couple of years back, silver was $49 US for a little while, if it has been there before, it might go there again..

A 1951 PL Australian sixpence for $8000? Yeah, right!  Maybe, I am just not rich enough, or maybe, coming from a working class background, I appreciate the value of money.. The dealer who sold this coin for $8000, bought an exactly similar slabbed and graded one a year or so later in a Nobles auction for $500. What does that tell you about what it is really "worth" ?

The ONLY benefit I can see to slabbed coins is authenticity. Whilst this may be important for commonly faked coins (1934-35 Melb florin, 1932 florin, 1923 halfpenny, 1930 penny, 1933 shilling etc) it is not so important for other coins. Remember, a grade is just an OPINION, it is not always gospel truth, even if it was done by a grading company.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Have heard of fake slabbed coins.

Buyer beware.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Yes Kopes, very true, I have seen faked slabs before, forgot to mention that.

I also have seen coins obviously cleaned, yet slabbed and a grade assigned to them.

Buyer beware.

The test of coins as an investment, is who is going to buy them when you want to cash out?

No dealers want to buy back slabbed coins that they sold, because the price, in most cases,  is so far above the real value.

That rules out dealers, so the only way to get back your money is find another collector who wants to buy slabbed coins..

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I test silver coins first by appearance, then on receiving the coin, by weight and ping and Neodymium magnet and if any doubt remains, NGC or PCGS gets it. If I'm spending significant money, the seller must have a physical store and must be an ANDA member.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I test silver coins with ice.

Slabbed coins are for people that get excited about the fact they think they are getting a bargain.

As OP has said a coin set is way cheaper than a slabbed coin that comes out of that set.

There are many examples of slabbed coins selling for astronomical amounts and realistically a buyer will need to hold onto them for 20 years or more in my opinion to even make a profit in the future.

To me a slabbed coin with the highest grading should be unmarked but I have seen coins that are marked with a grading of PR70 DCAM which is just ridiculous.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Well, I am about to resign from ANDA after 20 years.

They charge $475 for membership each year (and going up) and they charge $1700 for just ONE lousy table at their shows.

For moderately successful dealers like me, that is just too much to ever be able to make a quid...

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I have always known of the ice test and how Silver has a very high thermal (and electrical) conductivity, but have avoided it with premium coins as I'm concerned about tap water's mineral and flouride content affecting the coin surface. Maybe I'm just being overcautious there, or should make my own ice from distilled water..

I also have seen very ugly slabbed coins and would not buy them, but some are good. I have some planned for auction to turn a profit and a few that I will never sell and I will bequeath in my will. It's just nice to have an elite coin for bragging rights sometimes.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

They will never make a profit, even in 20 years.

Last year there was an auction of slabbed coins in Sydney.

The person who bought them paid over 2 million for the collection and got $700,000 back in the auction.

Yet, certain dealers of slabbed coins who will go un-named were spruiking what a great result the auction prices were (?)

Their maths is obviously very poor, as a 1.3 MILLION dollar loss, does not equal a good result..

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply