Valuing and selling Fine China

I was talking to a friend in RL today who has quite a large collection of fine china, including a lot of Wedgewood (not just the blue and white stuff) that she has gathered over the years.  Many pieces were bought or gifted while she and her late husband worked in the industry.

She now wants to value it and probably sell a lot.  She is not confident online and would prefer to deal with people face to face and in B&M.  Where would be a good place for her to start this big and (for her) somewhat scary task? 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

My apologies samjess. I didn't read your last paragraph properly.

Thanks very much, I shall pass all that on to my friend.

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

I  have won a couple of auctions at the Auction Barn mentioned above but have never sold there.  I believe they charge a commission and a fee for photography (smallish I think).  They are pretty friendly when I have been out to Fyshwick.

Also allbids.com.au who sell Australia wide is based in Fyshwick, Canberra just  next to Auction Barn so it is easy to drop off stuff to them to sell.  Again I have only bought from them so I don't know the fees they charge to sellers.  They seem pretty organised and the warehouse is always clean, tidy and well laid out.  Always friendly when I've been to pick up goods from auction wins. 

Also there are the usual trash and treasures around Canberra and I think the Old Bus Depot markets in Kingston take one-off stalls if she just wants to spend a day there rather than be a regular.  Dept Markets  - See details at obdm.com.au. 

There are also the Hall markets but I don't know much about their stallholder regs.  Your friend could also try listing in allclassifieds.com.au or Gumtree.

Hope that helps

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply