backstamp i can't trace

have this lovely vase . i believe it was bought in 1934 in victoria at braithwaites chemist, shop 3, box hill.but cannot identify the backstamp. help please

rosie

17rosecottage

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

backstamp i can't trace

A photo of both the vase and the backstamp would help us try to help you.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

backstamp i can't trace

thank you for your reply,

i was unable to attach a photo of the vase and the backstamp i could only load 1 photo. i will load a photo of the vase now.

regards

rosie

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

backstamp i can't trace

I can have a guess at a date - 1890-1910 but really need that backstamp.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

backstamp i can't trace

HI,

HAVE HAD A PROBLEM GETTING THE PHOTO  OF THE BACKSTAMP WILL TRY HERE AGAIN

REGARDS

ROSIE

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

backstamp i can't trace

Thanks for that. I will have a stab, though I am by no means an expert on Oriental pottery. I would say the backstamp is a very abbrevaited / stylised version of the Nippon backstamp (ie Japan).

Have a look at this page -

http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturyjapan.shtml

under Nichi Hon (Nippon)

The style of the vase is commonly known as Kaga - this is fairly typical example but I am afraid that I would not know wheter it is really made in Japan or is a copy from say a Bohemian pottery. I would think it dates as I said from around 1900 to pre WW1.

If it is a Japanese vase then it was definitely made for the Western market, with the flower painting of Western flowers. The Kaga really refers to the shape - a round body, with a slender neck and often attached pierced handles. There were painted panels and profuse gilding. The early Japanese examples are very fine; as they became very fashionable - Japonism and the aesthetic movement from about 1880's on - the style was extensively copied. My grandparents had very similar vases on their mantlepieces which probably came from their parents, and indeed when we were furnishing in the Victorian style back in the 1970's, we had quite a collection. Yours looks very decorative and looks quite an imposing size - I can't tell about the condition - there is often colour loss, paint flaking. My husband would say if you had the other one (they invariably came in pairs to place each end of the mantle piece) it would be worth more!

Someone with more knowledge may come along.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

backstamp i can't trace

thank you for all the detailed information its been very helpful.  i will follow up on the website you mentioned.

kindest regards

rosie

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

backstamp i can't trace

Have you found out yet Rosie that its a Kiln place marker not a markers mark?

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

backstamp i can't trace

thankyou for the information ,there does appear to be a faded stamp image i think but it is too faded to work it out,i have seen very simular ones that do come from japan & from the 1890 - it would have been good to identify it  

regards

rosie

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

backstamp i can't trace

Rosie the mark in the middle says in Kanga "Left 3" the place marker for in the kiln when firing. I think your vase is from around the 1930-40s and a mass produced item going by the quality of the decoration. Meiji Japanese (1890) vases had very intricate decoration re; Satsuma or Kutani of the period.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply