Four N100'S

Three Pump Sanitisers

Two toilet rolls

and a partridge in a pear tree
Message 31 of 46
Latest reply

2020: 12 days of Christmas

@countessalmirena wrote:
I cannot resist the turn this thread has taken!

It’s brought a smile to my face.

(The other emoticons can always make their appearance later. Roll on the toilet rolls etc.)

Thank you for seeing the humo(U)r, Countess, I was crying while laughing! 

Message 32 of 46
Latest reply

On the sixteenth day of Christmas my true love sent to me

Sixteen Breville dual boilers

Fifteen presents from the countess

Fourteen table tennis matches*

Thirteen going wrongs in my life

Twelve travellers quarantining

Eleven health care workers testing

Ten settings at the table.

Nine QR codes scanning

Eight paper face masks

Seven Glen 20s spraying

Six bottles of Vodka

Five Pine- O -Cleens

Four N100'S

Three Pump Sanitisers

Two toilet rolls

and a partridge in a pear tree

Message 33 of 46
Latest reply

... and the actual Boxing Day "Twelve Days of Christmas" emoticon:

On the Second Day of Christmas, my True Love sent to Me
Two Turtle-Doves
and a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

Two Turtle-Doves

This is also known as Saint Stephen's Day (aka Feast of Saint Stephen or Feast of Stephen, familiar to us from the Christmas carol Good King Wenceslas.)

LOTS OF STUFF THAT MOST OF YOU WON'T WANT TO READ (especially if you're full with turkey and plum pudding and ham and roast potatoes and pumpkin and cauliflower and carrots and parsnips, etc., which is why I've put it into a spoiler:

Spoiler

Since it is the Feast of Stephen today, I'm adding a few Feast-of-Stephen things into this post. The carol Good King Wenceslas dates to the 1850s, when a hymnwriter called John Mason Neale got hold of a copy of Piae Cantiones ecclesiasticae et scholasticae veterum episcoporum (a collection of religious and secular mediæval songs - printed/published for the first time in 1582). This songbook was completely unfamiliar to England, until the British ambassador to Sweden returned to England with this rare copy, and bestowed it upon Neale (since Neale was apparently known to have an interest in music of this period).

Neale took one of the songs in this collection (the song called Tempus ades floridem, which means Now has come the flowering time) and used it with his own lyrics. I don't know when he wrote those lyrics; it could have been before he ever saw the music... but at any rate, Good King Wenceslas was published by Neale and Thomas Helmore (a choirmaster - familiar with mediæval music notation) as part of a Christmas song collection in 1853.

Good King Wenceslas is based on an historical figure - a Bohemian duke called Václav the Good who is actually the patron saint of Bohemia. (By the way - his manner of death? Assassination by his wicked brother, appropriately enough known as Borislaus the Cruel. This wasn't the first murder in the family; Wenceslaus's own mother - who was born into a pagan family - was jealous that her mother-in-law (Ludmila) became regent over the Duchy of Bohemia after Wenceslaus' father died, and had Ludmila murdered. She then seized control of the country by assuming the regency herself, and acted against Christianity and Christians. These measures were repealed after Wenceslaus came of age and became ruler - and his mother was banished from Bohemia.

Wenceslaus was known as a pious and kindly man. Stories of his generosity and his help to the poor date back to just ten or twenty years after his death (cf. The First Slavonic Life), and there's a very telling quotation about him dating back to no more than 150 years after his death:

❝But his deeds I think you know better than I could tell you; for, as is read in his Passion, no one doubts that, rising every night from his noble bed, with bare feet and only one chamberlain, he went around to God’s churches and gave alms generously to widows, orphans, those in prison and afflicted by every difficulty, so much so that he was considered, not a prince, but the father of all the wretched.❞

- Cosmas of Prague, Book I of Chronica of Boëmorum

So there's certainly some historical precedent for Neale's lyrics.

I did read that Neale's text is actually a translation of a poem called Sankt Wenceslaw und Podiwin (written in the 1800s), and this is pretty freely disseminated and restated throughout the internet. The only source that I could find for this assumption is from a book called Die Wenzelslegende des Mönchs Christian, by Herman Kølman, where he has a footnote stating that:

❝Neales Inspirationsquelle war ein Gedicht von Václav Alois Svoboda (Aloys Swoboda) »Sanct Wenceslaw und Podiwin, Legende in böhmi­scher, teutscher und lateinischer Sprache«, Praha 1847❞

- Kølman, Herman. Die Wenzelslegende des Mönchs Christian, p. 15.

Message 34 of 46
Latest reply

On the Third Day of Christmas, my True Love sent to Me
Three French Hens
Two Turtle-Doves

French HenFrench HenFrench Hen

Two Turtle-Doves

A Partridge in a Pear Tree

Message 35 of 46
Latest reply

On the Fourth Day of Christmas, my True Love sent to Me
Four Colly-Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle-Doves

Colly-BirdColly-BirdColly-BirdColly-Bird

Two Turtle-Doves

Message 36 of 46
Latest reply

Just popped in to say I love them all.

I love the way some people took off and sang their own version (what a hoot) and I love countess's version too.

No such thing as too many songs this year. They are all good.Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 46
Latest reply

I should mention that the only reason that I included a reference to Breville Dual Boilers is that family members got together this year to make the Breville Dual Boiler my Christmas gift. (I already have the Smart Grinder.)

Spoiler

Mind you, I had to organise actually buying the thing. One GG shop (about 2 ½ hours away) had it in stock for a very good price, so I had it put aside under my name. The idea was then for me to pick it up, pay, and everyone would then put in their portion of the total.

On the day on which I was to pick it up, our area had a sudden meltdown of home phone, internet, and mobile coverage. But that's not all; one of the garage door springs kerplunked off the tilt arm thing - and there was no way that I could fix it myself. Had I the strength of Hercules, yes, I could have done it, as I had the screw/bolt parts, but sadly I am not a superwoman and I got oil and grit all over my hands for nothing.

With urgent emails and other things needing to be done via internet, inability to google for garage door repairers, inability to call anyone at all, inability to get my car out... it was a doozy of a day.

End result: didn't pick up the coffee machine. Instead, on the next day, after the local internet outage had been repaired and a pair of kindly garage door repairers had been organised and come out to do the repair, I phoned the GG store and paid for express postage. Two days later, still no tracking number; I phoned again and asked if they could give me said tracking number so that I could watch the parcel into being delivered more quickly. (It works that way, you know; the power of just watching that tracking number on MyPost is amazing.)

Well! My coffee machine was still sitting there, unsent. Someone hadn't realised that I'd paid for it to be sent. Person to whom I was speaking said she'd organise getting it sent asap. I duly refreshed the AusPost app every now and again, and waited with nerve-racking tension.

It arrived in time. I took it up to Beechworth, unwrapped. (In fact, I didn't even peek into the box.) Family members wrapped it on Christmas morning. I received it Christmas afternoon after our lunch and before our lunch-burning totem tennis activities.

My only regret is that Breville stopped making the Cranberry version some time ago. Darn it.

Message 38 of 46
Latest reply

Oh no... oh dear... TARDY LOVER.

It's the 9th day of Christmas today. I'll need to catch up quickly.

On the Fifth Day of Christmas, my True Love sent to Me
Five Go-o-ooold Rings
Four Colly-Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle-Doves

Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) with a gold ringPheasant (Phasianus colchicus) with a gold ringPheasant (Phasianus colchicus) with a gold ringPheasant (Phasianus colchicus) with a gold ringPheasant (Phasianus colchicus) with a gold ring

Two Turtle-Doves

Message 39 of 46
Latest reply

On the Sixth Day of Christmas, my True Love sent to Me

Six Geese a-Laying

Five Go-o-ooold Rings
Four Colly-Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle-Doves

Goose a-LayingGoose a-LayingGoose a-LayingGoose a-LayingGoose a-LayingGoose a-Laying

Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) with a gold ringPheasant (Phasianus colchicus) with a gold ringPheasant (Phasianus colchicus) with a gold ringPheasant (Phasianus colchicus) with a gold ringPheasant (Phasianus colchicus) with a gold ring

Two Turtle-Doves

Message 40 of 46
Latest reply