Community Member
10 REPLIES 10

A better alternative

ecar3483
Community Member

It sounds good.

And the drawback is?

Everything comes with a cost.

If I want to drive from Sydney to Perth, can I refuel with hydrogen along the way?

"Of course you can... There's a dedicated network of hydrogen refuelling stations all the way across".

That sounds great... How does the hydrogen get to the refuelling stations?

"Diesel powered tankers deliver it...".

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the exercise of driving a "Green" car that ultimately relies on diesel for it's fuel?

Speaks into wrist microphone... "We've got a trouble maker here...", ha ha.

Really, bring on this bold, shiny, brand new future with it's grand innovations.

But when you show them to me, don't lie to me and don't leave things out.

If the car's only good for fifteen years, tell me, so I can plan for that.

Don't try to hard sell me on a "Wonder" car if all I'm going to do, years down the line, is exactly that - look at it, and wonder... Why?

Talk to me like I'm an adult, or, alternatively, do you see that short pier over there?:

Go and take a long walk...

๐Ÿ™‚

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

A better alternative

are you saying trucks will only ever be powered by petrol or diesel?

so we are in big trouble then, give up guys, dont bother finding alternative power sources.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

A better alternative

martinw-48
Community Member
The trucks won't be only powered by diesel or petrol.
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

A better alternative

@martinw-48 wrote:
The trucks won't be only powered by diesel or petrol.

of course not, to think the smart boffins at HQ wont think up something new to power buses and trucks and trains ect in the future would be silly

was a time when there were people who said 'you'll never replace the horse and cart mate!'

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

A better alternative

martinw-48
Community Member
I know.
Whenever I get into an argument about how the internal combustion engine is going to be phased out people shout me down and I tell them to go to the creek and get a bucket of water for their horse.
Then when they say that they have water in their house and no horses but a car.
I say exactly my point.
Everything changes whether you want it to or not
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

A better alternative

@martinw-48 wrote:
I know.
Whenever I get into an argument about how the internal combustion engine is going to be phased out people shout me down and I tell them to go to the creek and get a bucket of water for their horse.
Then when they say that they have water in their house and no horses but a car.
I say exactly my point.
Everything changes whether you want it to or not

the important part of whatever they invent is the part where we the consumers will have to keep paying to stay mobile

like we are now for fuel

heaven to bid they invent a car that runs on sea water!

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

A better alternative

"Industrial" Hydrogen is mostly formed from fossil fuels ie natural gas and coal and is therefore as a fuel by definition not a "renewable". The rusted on fossil fuel suppliers would rather this pertinent fact be left ....over there.... with the big lump (of coal) under the carpet.

Electolysis  presently produces approximately 4% of the worlds Hydrogen needs with over 95% being formed from traditional fossil fuels

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

A better alternative

martinw-48
Community Member
Of course infrastructure is lagging and currently Hydrogen is produced by polluting means.
That does not mean that changes won't be made that make Hydrogen powered vehicles practical.
The tin can was invented years before the can opener was.
A hundred years ago there were vehicles trying to negotiate dirt cart tracks then the bitumen roads were invented.
Necessity is the mother of invention
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

A better alternative

@martinw-48 wrote:
Of course infrastructure is lagging and currently Hydrogen is produced by polluting means.
That does not mean that changes won't be made that make Hydrogen powered vehicles practical.
The tin can was invented years before the can opener was.
A hundred years ago there were vehicles trying to negotiate dirt cart tracks then the bitumen roads were invented.
Necessity is the mother of invention

and i would suggest that Hydrogen is presently not a renewable energy source whereas solar energy/wind energy/wave energy is a renewable

re the tin can...what do you think the purpose of a tin can that couldnt be opened was???

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply