ABC Fact Check

Tony Abbott incorrect on asylum seekers breaking Australian law

Woman LOLWoman LOL

from the ABC

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

ABC Fact Check

PRIME MINISTER: Look, I think people making allegations should be able to produce some evidence. There is no evidence whatsoever to back them up.

QUESTION: The ABC claims they have - with that video and having spoken to them.

PRIME MINISTER: Well, as I said, who do you believe? Do you believe Australian naval personnel or do you believe people who are attempting to break Australian law? I trust Australia’s naval personnel.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

ABC Fact Check

Military personnel are beyond reproach. I still trust Lt.Calley 🙂
Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

ABC Fact Check

Woman Very Happy

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

ABC Fact Check

@spotweldersfriend wrote:
So were Australian troops who entered Iraq and Afghanistan (where a lot of these asylum seekers come from) breaking any laws?

They certainly entered under false pretences - does that count.

Woman Very Happy

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

ABC Fact Check

Without looking it up is that the MaiLai (Melai or something similar) massacre?

He would fit in well at the ABC where they are trying to do everything to trash our relationship with Indonesia.

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

ABC Fact Check

ABC trashing our relationship with Indonesia?!!!!!  Is it the ABC who send the ships into their territory?  Is it the ABC who makes Julie and TA to treat the Indonesian government as if they were Autralia's subordinats just waiting more an order?

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

ABC Fact Check

@**meep** wrote:

Who was he referring to?  The Asylum seekers or the crew members?  People smuggling is illegal in Australia.

Based on the definition set out in the people smuggling protocol, people who have come to Australia without a valid visa have illegally entered the country. (From ABC Fact Check)

Who is Mr Abbott talking about?

Fact Check contacted the Prime Minister's office to clarify whether his comment related to asylum seekers or crew members. People smuggling is a criminal offence under Australian law.

No response was received by the time of publication. It is therefore necessary to take a look at the context of the remarks.

It is clear from the exchange during his press conference that Mr Abbott was referring to asylum seekers seeking to enter Australia by boat without a valid visa. He was asked about the ABC report, which referred only to allegations by asylum seekers.

PRIME MINISTER: Look, I think people making allegations should be able to produce some evidence. There is no evidence whatsoever to back them up.

QUESTION: The ABC claims they have - with that video and having spoken to them.

PRIME MINISTER: Well, as I said, who do you believe? Do you believe Australian naval personnel or do you believe people who are attempting to break Australian law? I trust Australia’s naval personnel.

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

ABC Fact Check

@***super_nova*** wrote:

ABC trashing our relationship with Indonesia?!!!!!  Is it the ABC who send the ships into their territory?  Is it the ABC who makes Julie and TA to treat the Indonesian government as if they were Autralia's subordinats just waiting more an order?

Picture3.jpg

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

ABC Fact Check

Calley wouldn't work for the ABC.They're too left wing
Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

ABC Fact Check

And Colon Powell?

Message 20 of 26