Adelaide's wet summer continues

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-06/adelaides-wet-summer-continues/8243568

here in wallaroo, 34mm in last 24hrs and its still raining. temp, low 20's

crazy thing is the forcast is for 40c on wednesday, 38c on thursday and 37c on friday!

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

I agree David, you can only do so much to keep your house cool.  My place has wide verandahs across the back and front, so no sun on the windows which does help but of course it still gets hot inside. I have a large window on the side of the house which cops the westerly sun, so have have an automatic metal awning on it, which really helps. I have a tin roof which heats up quickly but cools down as soon as the sun sets. 

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

It would serve Rosie right if Foo sat on her.....she does look comfortable though.

This house is full brick and tile but does have very wide eaves and metal roll up awnings on the west facing windows.  Being near the coast it is usually quite cool but nowhere is going to be really cool in these heatwaves.

My East facing windows have no outside awnings so I just keep the blinds closed until the sun is off the glass.   Today they stayed closed all day....even when the sun was off the glass it was still warm to the touch.

Only now are we feeling any real benefit from the airconditioner....it should cool things down nicely by sunrise and then we start again.

Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

I'm 100km inland from the ocean, so no sea breeze here lol

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

It would serve Rosie right if Foo sat on her.....she does look comfortable though.

considering foo was trained to chase a small fluffy object, and did so for about 100 races its amazing how tolerant he is.

he will not get on the bed while shes in it, even when shes completely coverred so you cant see her. he stands and looks, if i see it i get her out and he climbs straight onto the bed. if i dont he will wait a few minutes and then go lie on the floor next to the bed.

Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

Animals are funny at times.

We had a Westie and a Himalayan cat.   The dog was an outdoor dog, the cat lived indoors.  The cat would go out into the back yard with me and often stay out for an hour or so on her own but never ventured outside the courtyard.

One windy day I looked out the kitchen window to see the dog on the back step looking a bit crestfallen but no sign of the cat so I went to look for her, hoping she had not wandered off.

I burst out laughing when I looked at the dog's kennel under the kitchen window....there was the cat in residence out of the wind and she was determined not to let the dog in.  She was very annoyed when I scooped her up and took her inside.

Another day she got on top of the flat roof of the kennel and hung over the edge staring at the dog.....he was not game to come out in case she swiped him.

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

Had power off from 11pm last night until 2am.

of course dont know if it was switched off or there was some other problem, havent heard any mention as yet on radio.

made it very uncomfortable, no breeze and no fans even.

tomorrow is supposed to be mid 20's, cant wait.

i hope everyone out there experiencing heatwave has power for the duration.

something i keep wondering, who actually owns the power stations? i am believing here in south australia they have been privatised as were the wires and poles. i'd love to know the exact situation. all very well saying the govt should do this or that but if they have no control over the privatised equipment what are they to do?

btw, it was a liberal govt here that placed the sytem into private hands after going to an election promising not to privatise the electricity. sure they were tossed out at the next election but the deal was done and the system was in private hands fo 100 years!

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

So far we have had power but it might be a different story today with everyone home and temperatures expected to be 39+ after 43 yesterday.

Roll on Sunday....the forecast has been revised down to 29 from 39.

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

my error, just looked up and its 200years.

Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

The cool change is here, woke up to 19c and wind comming off the sea.

this mornings walk was lovely.

i hope it spreads east.

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

15 here atm, heading for a top of around 18   .... lovely

Message 30 of 30
Latest reply