Alan Jones says students are to blame for Boston Marathon bombings

CONTROVERSIAL broadcaster Alan Jones says he believes students were responsible for the Boston Marathon bombings, and Australia should rethink its intake of foreign students after yesterday's carnage.

''I wouldn't be surprised if this was a conspiracy among students, left wing radical students in Boston,'' Jones, from Sydney's 2GB radio, told the Seven Network's Sunrise program.

WATCH ALAN JONES ON SUNRISE

Jones said Boston was a well known university town with institutions such as Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

Tony Abbott promoting Pollie Pedal 2013 in Canberra today. Picture: Ray Strange

He said Australia should rethink its own intake of foreign studen

Message 1 of 48
Latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

I take it no-one agrees with the student theory then?

Message 21 of 48
Latest reply

What public toilets. :^O

the one in which someone turned him on

Message 22 of 48
Latest reply

mainly because he said it.

there is one other thing, nobody  has claimed responsibility as you'd expect from a group like A .Q. ,  they would .

Message 23 of 48
Latest reply

If he left it at a theory and not extended it to use the tragedy as a platform for another agenda then it wouldn't be as pathetic.

Message 24 of 48
Latest reply

How can anyone possibly 'agree' with it Icy. There are dozens of possibilities, from Muslim extremists to Tea Party fanatics to pluck one out of the air and say 'it must be them is just plain stupid.

Also, on a scale of probability I would think that left wing radical students would be far more likely to be homegrown than from overseas. Unless the demographic in US is very different to that in Australia, the majority of overseas fee-paying students are likely to be from wealthy, conservative, privileged class families and not over likely to be radically left wing.

Message 25 of 48
Latest reply

Well I don't turn Mr Jones on (:-D) either, She-el, I loathe the man. Ask Monman. 

But, rubbishing AJ aside, what's so incredible about the students theory? Nobody's saying they have to be from overseas, or Muslims.

It could have been anyone.

As you said, at this stage authorities don't know who did it, or aren't saying.

Fee-paying wealthy and privileged doesn't preclude anyone.

OBL, for instance, came from a privileged and wealthy background, and studied in England, I believe

Message 26 of 48
Latest reply

OMG who are these people, I have never read any thing like that before.

No hope for the human race with people like that around.

I wonder how they will act if they find out it is a Home gown bomber

Message 27 of 48
Latest reply

Blah Blah Blah, no one knows anything yet, it will come out or maybe it wont.

Message 28 of 48
Latest reply

OMG who are these people, I have never read any thing like that before.

Are their opinions to any others in this country and indeed on this forum?

These idiots fail to see that most of the terrorist acts in their own country have been carried out by one of their own countrymen.

Message 29 of 48
Latest reply

Well I don't turn Mr Jones on (:-D) either, She-el, I loathe the man. Ask Monman. 

But, rubbishing AJ aside, what's so incredible about the students theory? Nobody's saying they have to be from overseas, or Muslims.

It could have been anyone.

As you said, at this stage authorities don't know who did it, or aren't saying.

Fee-paying wealthy and privileged doesn't preclude anyone.

OBL, for instance, came from a privileged and wealthy background, and studied in England, I believe

There's nothing incredible about it as a possibility, but it's only one of many and to make the kind of public pronouncement Jones did when there is absolutely no evidence to support it and Obama himself  urged people not to jump to conclusions is stupid and exceedingly unhelpful.

In his comments he specifically referred to, left-wing radical students and immediately went on to  suggest that as a result we should think more carefully about the foreign students we accept into Australia. I was making the point that foreign students are probably less likely to be left wing than home grown ones. 

Osama bin Laden may have been a student  in US but I doubt whether  he would ever have been described as left wing.

Message 30 of 48
Latest reply