Apollo 11 Moon landing

How the Apollo 11 Moon landing was achieved with the vital help of Carnarvon Tracking Station

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-14/the-vital-role-played-by-carnarvon-in-the-apollo-11-moon-land...

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Apollo 11 Moon landing

martinw-48
Community Member

Apollo 11 Moon landing

Watched the Moon landing at school....and again and again on the news that night. 🙂

I remember a big display in the Monaro Mall after Apollo 11 had returned, with a mock up of the lander, big posters and a piece of moon rock on display.  We all filed past to see it.

That Christmas the top present for kids (especially bought by parents on a budget) was the big Paul Hamlyn book 'The Eagle has Landed' and also a bronze looking Apollo 11 medallion in a plastic sleeve (that might have been a newspaper offer) as well.  I still have the book and medallion.

Message 22 of 31
Latest reply

Apollo 11 Moon landing

IMG_6938.PNG

🙂

Message 23 of 31
Latest reply

Apollo 11 Moon landing

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Watched the Moon landing at school....and again and again on the news that night. 🙂

I remember a big display in the Monaro Mall after Apollo 11 had returned, with a mock up of the lander, big posters and a piece of moon rock on display.  We all filed past to see it.

That Christmas the top present for kids (especially bought by parents on a budget) was the big Paul Hamlyn book 'The Eagle has Landed' and also a bronze looking Apollo 11 medallion in a plastic sleeve (that might have been a newspaper offer) as well.  I still have the book and medallion.

i allways was scratching my head at the luna lander thinking was that designed by a comittee?

no movie ever had a space ship what looked like that

Message 24 of 31
Latest reply

Apollo 11 Moon landing

Apollo 11 documentary is a time capsule for the fleeting optimism of mankind's first Moon landing

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-18/apollo-11-review-documentary-captures-moon-landing-mission/11...

Message 25 of 31
Latest reply

Apollo 11 Moon landing

David, I also remember a Lunar Lander colour printed punch out cardboard model that kids could make up.  Unfortunately I don't have that, but I remember the struts were hard to fold neatly and the darn thing could be knocked over too easily.

We used to make a kid size version of the lander out of cardboard boxes as well.

Fun times.:-)

Message 26 of 31
Latest reply

Apollo 11 Moon landing

i watched a program on SBS tuesday night about the moon landing and the future of space exploration.

what amazes me if we have so many who will gladly be strapped to a giant bomb and fingers crossed hit the launch button.

you would never get me taking a 'joy' ride on one.

i am totally in awe of the fact man got to the moon and back

but until they figure a way to get into space without lighting the blue touch paper and running i wont be going.

Message 27 of 31
Latest reply

Apollo 11 Moon landing

frequently asked questions about the first time humans voyaged to the Moon.

https://nasa.tumblr.com/post/185413787354/throwback-thursday-frequently-asked-questions

Message 28 of 31
Latest reply