Australia's alcohol idiot problem

I think it's past time the Australian government treated the problems associated with alcohol as it has been doing for a long time with cigarettes and smoking because while smoking is harmful to a person's health it usually only affects the smoker in a serious way themselves, whereas the problems arising from grog harm many around the drunken idiot.

Heavy drinking results in public brawling to the extent where death occurs to both the drinker and others they see fit to harm.

Heavy drinkers also seriously abuse kids and partners, both physically and mentally.

Alcohol abuse is a growing issue among our young people.

Alcohol abuse costs the country millions of dollars every year through loss of productivity due to the drinker chucking sickies because they are hungover or suffering ill effects of grog the following day.

Alcohol abuse results in way too many deaths and injuries on our roads every year.

alcoholics cost our public health system millions every years due to the serious issues it causes to the abuser.

I could go on and on about the bad side of grog, but it will start sounding as though I'm totally anti-grog if I do, when in fact I have absolutely nothing against anyone enjoying a drink or two, but I have a hell of a lot against what abusing the stuff causes.

So, I think it's time that the Australian government takes a far more serious approach to the subject.

To do this they should start off with banning all alcohol/and alcohol related products from public advertising - just as they did with smoking products many years ago.

Next they should slap on an immediate minimum tax price rise of 10% for all alcohol and alcohol related products, to be followed up within 6 months with a further 10% price rise on the lot.

These price rises should also hit the home grog making products market too.

additionally all consuming of ALL alcohol products should be totally banned from all public venues and licensing hours over the entire country should be reduced to far more reasonable hours, say midnight in all clubs and pubs etc.

Do you think I'm goping over the top?

OK, you may think so, but I'm sick to death of seeing the results of alcohol abuse at all levels in this country, and I can see no good reason why my tax dollors should go toward fighting a losing battle against the problems arising from grog abuse.

I've also been forced to attend too many funerals of innocent bystanders killed due to bloody idiot's bad habits while they walk away from it all almost Scot free.

Message 1 of 133
Latest reply
132 REPLIES 132

mmmhhh sport has something to do with a disregard for women. our sports heroes are in the news year after year for **bleep** young women. so if they do it it must be ok cos they are our heroes after all.

Message 11 of 133
Latest reply

@***super_nova*** wrote:

@punch*drunk wrote:

Sorry for the off topic rant ๐Ÿ™‚

I do not think it is off the topic; it is ALL connected.  Unfortunately, we are being manipulated from early age by advertising.  Be it booze, cigarettes, or sexy clothing for little girls; it tells us that to be attractive, happy, popular or whatever we wish to be, we need to consume their product.

i think it is child abuse to take children into fast food restaurants. taste is developed in toddler age as far as i know (just look at old people liking disgusting things like tripe, it's because they ate it when they were children thus they will like it  until they die) so these little kids are conditioned to like fast food for the rest of their lives by their parents.

Message 12 of 133
Latest reply

Sports heroes and other celebrities certainly can be bad role models with regard to binge drinking. Sadly, much drinking behaviour is learned at home during parties barbeques and other celebrations. Just relaxing after a hard day's work! Here parents and other adults are the role models, for better or for worse.

Many homes have alcoholic - to varying degrees - parents.

Drinking is portrayed as being conducive to having fun and relaxation. Who doesn't want to relax and have fun?

Unfortunately, a lot of young people see it as the more alcohol, the more fun, which as we know, doesn't equate.

Message 13 of 133
Latest reply

australia has an idiot problem.

try teaching philosophy in school like it's done in more civilised countries.

you might be positively surprised by the outcome.

Message 14 of 133
Latest reply

if you think that we have an obesity problem now, wait until the generation grows up that was fed junk food when they were children.

maybe entry to mc donalds and co. should be for over 18 years only, like in strip clubs.

Message 15 of 133
Latest reply

some people are just self-righteous, intrusive AHs

IMA they are much worse than people who drink or eat junk food

Message 16 of 133
Latest reply

and alcohol amplies that self-righteous, intrusive AH's behaviour. Releases the inner beast so to speak.

People seem to be lacking in common sense and good judgement. If you know you get aggressive when you drink then don't drink.

Message 17 of 133
Latest reply

think it is child abuse to take children into fast food restaurants. taste is developed in toddler age as far as i know

Especially as the default drink for happy meals is coke... great  (not)for a 1yo or 2 yo to start drinking coke at that age.

Message 18 of 133
Latest reply

What really annoys me is that if you injure someone in a car accident, being p***ed or stoned at the time increases your culpability, if you beat up your partner or injure someone in a pub brawl, it's put forward as an excuse.

Message 19 of 133
Latest reply

I believe quite strongly that they need to stop selling booze at midnight.

Message 20 of 133
Latest reply