Becoming homeless - How an event creates a downward slide

A man loses his wife and the impact of that and the attempt to cope with the lost causes him to be evicted from his home.

VENICE BEACH

Evicted After Wife Died, Now Homeless in Venice Beach
Dec 2, 2020

834K subscribers

Simba (street name) met his wife fishing. I love that. Sadly, Simba's wife was very sick from complications with diabetes. She needed a kidney transplant. Simba's wife was on the transplant list at USC Medical Center, but while she was waiting for a donor, her health got worse. The emotional stress of being her caregiver was hard enough; when his wife died, Simba became severely depressed. He started to self medicate with marijuana to help him sleep. This was four years ago, and people's views of marijuana were much different then. Today, it probably would not even be an issue, but Simba's landlord used his cannabis use to evict him

This was beyond his control and because of an unfair reason he is now on the streets at age 65.
Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

@rogespeed wrote:

Australia can afford to enable everyone that finds themselves cast adrift to live with dignity -  with a clear process of steps to return functional living, however that would require default value of worthiness and respect  

Bob Hawke quote: By 1990, no Australian child will be living in poverty.

Message 51 of 57
Latest reply

@not_for_sale2024 wrote:

@rogespeed wrote:

Australia can afford to enable everyone that finds themselves cast adrift to live with dignity -  with a clear process of steps to return functional living, however that would require default value of worthiness and respect  

Bob Hawke quote: By 1990, no Australian child will be living in poverty.

Being in State care is not poverty ! 

Message 52 of 57
Latest reply

(OT) That guy has great hair! 

Message 53 of 57
Latest reply

He had a great head of hair till the day he died in May 2019.

The eyebrows were impressive too.

Another Aussie politician with very expressive eyebrows was Robert Menzies.

Message 54 of 57
Latest reply

And he was pretty impressive downing a ' yard glass ' . Robot wink

Message 55 of 57
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

And he was pretty impressive downing a ' yard glass ' . Robot wink

And a festive mood ie upon our America's cup victory 

Message 56 of 57
Latest reply

Artefact 

New York City, where poverty meets greed

By Alice Marshall

It was around seven in the morning. The smell of stale urine that had embedded in the tiles across the subways of New York had become more tolerable now and it was all starting to feel less foreign. As I struggled to drag my heavy suitcase up the stairs to another platform, I distinctly remember thinking to myself that I, a well-travelled woman, wouldn’t see much more American culture that could take me by surprise. 

Read more here

https://www.artefactmagazine.com/2019/06/30/new-york-city-where-poverty-meets-greed/

Message 57 of 57
Latest reply