Best Vacuum For Dog Hair?

Looking at buying a Dyson Animal   .... anyone own one pls?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Hi BG, yes i have one  of those dyson animal vacuum cleaners  and TBH they are a waste of money .

i paid 800.00 for ours and i certainly wouldn't buy another one.

they do the same job as any other vacuum cleaner.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Thats not good Latina   .. yeah they are $800, lotta $$ if they are going to do the job any better than a cheaper vac     .... any suggestestion re other brands pls?

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

I was told a few years ago by a vaccuum cleaner salesman that the high priced specific purpose Dysons were horribly overpriced and did not perform any better than the cheaper ones in the range.

My neighbour recently bought a cheapie cleaner for their holiday home....she says it is excellent for sand and dog hair.   I'll find out what it is for you when she comes home later.

I have an old Electrolux which was always good for our dog and long haired cat but I have no idea how the new ones perform.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Sounding that way re Dyson, atm am also looking at a Vax, it's 1/2 the price of Dyson and apparently does the job just as well ... I have 3 GSD's, on is a total house dog, so dog hair is always a prob

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

I had forgotten about the Vax.....we had one years ago in our shop.  When we sold the shop I bought it home and used it to vaccuum the horse rugs before washing them.   From the amount of hair that came off the rugs I would say it saved me several service calls on the washing machine over the years.

On past performance I would say the Vax would certainly be worth a look.

Have you checked out the Choice website?   I don't know how recent their review of vaccuum cleaners is but they often come up with interesting facts about the various appliances they are testing.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

i have a dyson dc20, its not the 'pet hair' one, just a normal barrel type.

had it about 10 years, only failure was the handle broke on the lance where you hold it when cleaning, cost about $60 for a new one.

there are a couple of filters you need to get spares of. available on ebay. they can be washed and reused quite a few times.

as to being any better than other cleaners, well its the best ive ever had, never blocks up, no bags to empty.

but then i do take it out to the shed and blow all the dust out of it about once a month with a high pressure airline and there is a lot of dust comes out of it.

as i no longer have carpet i would think any vaccuum cleaner would be fine here now.

the dyson certainly never lost its 'suck', you could see the carpet lifting as you cleaned.

i will never go back to carpet after seeing the dirt that was under my carpet when i pulled it up.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Need to pay/join to read the Choice reviews Lyndal   ....... Am thinking a Vax is going to be the wtg, there is aso a Hoover I like but it cordless and I really dont want to buy a cordless one.

I have Stihl industrial barrel, would suck the milk out of your tea but it's too big and heavy for me to use, I would prefer to buy an upright one

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

I subscribe to Choice....I'll have a look and see if they offer any other suggestions.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

David I hate having carpet with a passion, especially with three, large hairly gsd's dropping their hair everywhere. Prob is, to replace it, means pulling up all the old floor boards under it and replacing them and that is just a bridge to far atm

Thanks Lynda, will be interested in what Choice has to say re vacs

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply