Brain Operation.

A good friend's husband had a aneurysm operated on Saturday and is now talking a load of rubbish and she is wondering how long this will last as it is scary for their daughter.

He has been talk about the number and types of guns he has (he has never owned any weapons)

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Brain Operation.

My SIL was talking martian talk cracked us all up Woman LOL

My Brother had a colloid cyst he was found unconscious in his unit after being missed for 3 days. After his surgery he thought every person who walked past his Hospital bed was Bart Cummings. The machines they had him hooked up to were making noises, he though those noises were coming from  horse stables down below his bed where they were making minature horse shoes??????????Woman LOL He had never had anything to do with race horses.

Message 11 of 28
Latest reply

Brain Operation.

Joono, I do remember your frustration at not being able to put words together properly typing as well. From memory it was for a few weeks, then all of a sudden it all came together again.

I was amazed at how well you did considering what you'd been through

So OP, I think it will take a little time & patience & a chat to the doctor for some advice is a good idea
Message 12 of 28
Latest reply

Brain Operation.

Not to lighten grandmoons understandable  anxiousness at this time.  But it looks as though you will be sharing laughter in the future about this episode.  

I would explain to the daughter and any child in a situation like this, the facts as you know them.  Many a child begins their discovery of a possible occupation with experiences such as this.

DEB

Message 13 of 28
Latest reply

Brain Operation.

Freddie, I remember one day my sister looking at me with a really worried look on her face because I was telling her that I had to move Nannas outdoor loo to Manhatten instead of London.

Then I realised she thought I was totally bonkers.  Luckily I had a photo on my phone to show her. I was talking about the dolls house and I only had a backdrop of Manhatten so I used that.Garden skyline.jpg

Deb, and sorry Grandmoon, but even now I still have to read my posts three times in case I have repeated sentences and got my words muddled.  I'm good now really though.

Joono
Message 14 of 28
Latest reply

Brain Operation.

A couple of days to a few weeks sounds right.

There is swelling there, brain surgery is always tricky and also especially for an older person, confusion after an anaesthetic is not uncommon.

When my father had surgery last year, he awoke very very confused, climbing out of the bed, talking nonsense, pulling out drains, wanting me contacted at an old address which he did not remember correctly anyway.

Dad thought I had been killed in a car accident when he saw his own bandages.

I would suggest that the family try to do a roster for someone to sit with him until things settle.

My father was calm and okay with me there but the minute I left, became very distressed and confused.

He had a fall trying to get out of his chair and needed stitches to his face.

He lost his hearing aid and upper partial plate and insisted a hand came around the curtain and stole them.

Things took about 10 days to settle with the first 3 days the worst, with me having to go in and sit with him and calm him,

I also would help with washing, dressing and feeding. Which helped the staff and calmed my father.

Message 15 of 28
Latest reply

Brain Operation.

Nah, you're doing OK Joono, proud of you xx
Message 16 of 28
Latest reply

Brain Operation.

Thanks Deb.  You all helped me tremendously too.

Joono
Message 17 of 28
Latest reply

Brain Operation.

Thanks ashjoma

Friends hubby sounds a bit like your father,  I am more concerned about the effect it is having on his daughter, the poor kid spent her fifteenth birthday yesterday sitting with him.  He wants to go outside for a smoke which of course he can't and is getting very angry.

Message 18 of 28
Latest reply

Brain Operation.

I think at fifteen she will be old enough to under stand her poor father has had brain surgery and is not him self.

Must be hard on her at that age and nice of her to spend her birthday with her father.

Message 19 of 28
Latest reply

Brain Operation.

I think her main concern is that he won't remember her and also he will be very violent, as that is how he is talking now.

Message 20 of 28
Latest reply