Bush-fire contributions/donations

nimishi
Community Member

Putting aside what caused the fires and thinking as a mother, wife, daughter, sister - and being thankful that my family is safe.... 

I know that we ALL feel for those who have been affected by the bush-fires in our country, and especially in Tasmania which has suffered major losses. I have been on the other side i.e. responding to disasters for several years and offer the following.

Australia has disaster plans that address these situations and also cover the Recovery aspect of such disasters which can go on for many months.

For those of us who wish to make a difference, a contribution, please think of donating money, whatever the amount. Having been employed to respond to disasters for several years these people do not need second hand clothes/furniture that you have no use for. They need a hand up and also to maintain their dignity when they have lost everything. Every aspect of requirements has been identified along with where to access bulk amounts quickly. Our charitable organisations do not need to use their money to remove and dump several football fields of unusable donations that are generally given in these circumstances.

The firefighters who are our combat agency for this situation, will put out the fires. The supporting agencies will help those affected - they have access to funds and supplies to handle such situations.

PLEASE listen to what we, as the public, are asked for and contribute accordingly. We all want to help, this is our nature.

Let us make our help valuable and make it count. Let us assist those affected by listening to what the agencies (trained to respond to these disasters) ask for and give that and not what we think is needed.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

excellent post nimishi.

I personally saw the shipping containers full of unsuitable/unusable donations from one site alone during the Black Saturday fires.  Many clothes weren't even usuable for rags/

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I donated tonight online via Red Cross Tasmanian Bushfires 2013.

I saw the link on a post of Cuddles on the fire thread.  I am half Tasmanian so it hits home.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

abc website:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-06/red-cross-appeal-tasmanian-bushfires-2013/4454332

More Tasmanian Bushfires Appeal

Posted 10 hours 16 minutes ago

Photo: A panoramic view of the bushfires on the Tasman Peninsula in Tasmania, January 4, 2013. (Audi...Map: TAS

Red Cross is accepting monetary donations to help people in Tasmania as they begin the process of rebuilding their lives.

Funds raised through the Tasmanian Bushfires 2013 Appeal will be used to assist individuals, families and communities directly affected by the January 2013 Tasmanian bushfires.

The funds raised will be distributed through an independent committee, which will involve community input.

How to make a donation:

You can visit the Red Cross Australia website to make a secure online donation; To make a donation v...

Red Cross says it launched the Tasmanian Bushfires 2013 Appeal at the invitation of the Tasmanian Government in order to provide assistance to people impacted by the devastating bushfires

The organisation says it won't deduct any funds from public donations for appeal or administration costs and should the funds raised exceed the amount required, Australian Red Cross will use any excess funds to assist in future disasters in Australia.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I took things up to Sorrel yesterday, clothes, blankets, pillows and also bought 2 big bags of dog dry and 2 big bags of cat dry along with women's pants and pads and toilet rolls...

They are asking for pharmacy things like the above, tooth brushes, toothpaste, soap... ordinary things we never think of until they are gone.

A lot of people are able to contribute bales and rolls of hay for the bigger animals...

If you live nearby they are very glad to receive anything that you feel will help.

Things like children's toys and also dog toys like tennis balls, things that will take their minds of the disaster for a little while... colouring in books and pencils

The trauma doesn't go away but these things can help the littlies 🙂

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

yes its the stuff we all take for granted i have bought a large quantity of nappies tampons toothbrushes deodorant etc and had it sent down with someone

it can be the simplest item we need thats is often not thought of by those of us donating

god willing all who still havent been located will soon be accounted for:(

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply