Canberra's 30 bus ticket inspectors issued just 24 fines this year

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-08/canberras-30-bus-ticket-checkers-issue-just-24-fines/9228558

you can only issue a ticket to someone who does the wrong thing. looks like the canberra comunity are law abiding.

ans so they should be, all those MPs and Public Servants, good honest people.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Actually I'm not at all surprised, having grown up in Canberra.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It doesn't surprise me either.

It is a long time since I lived in Canberra but back then nobody used public transport.  Canberra was one of those cities where you needed a car to get around, especially if you lived in the outer suburbs.

The public transport was woeful.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

It would have been 1976, after Mr Whitlam had left, and Mr Fraser had come into office.

We were told that there would have to be some changes - no more free trips on the school bus...

The fare would now be Ten Cents...

I remember the ticket inspectors...

I remember one of the kids I knew trying to prise open the back doors of the bus so that he could escape them, not having paid for a ticket... ha ha.

Back in those days, if the driver got lost then he'd refer to a big, fold out paper map.

Tell that to the young folk of today and they won't believe you... ha ha.

🙂

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Good guess ecar.   I lived on the Navy Base from January 1967 to June 1969.

There were only 2 or 3 busses between Canberra and Queanbeyan each morning and night and one in the middle of the day.

It was a nightmare trying to time the shopping to catch the only bus in the middle of the day.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@ecar3483 wrote:

It would have been 1976, after Mr Whitlam had left, and Mr Fraser had come into office.

We were told that there would have to be some changes - no more free trips on the school bus...

The fare would now be Ten Cents...

I remember the ticket inspectors...

I remember one of the kids I knew trying to prise open the back doors of the bus so that he could escape them, not having paid for a ticket... ha ha.

Back in those days, if the driver got lost then he'd refer to a big, fold out paper map.

Tell that to the young folk of today and they won't believe you... ha ha.

🙂

I used to ride my bicycle to school and on one occasion I discovered I had a flat tyre and with no time to fix it I decided to take the bus....something I never did for school.

So I trudged to the closest bus stop on Majura Ave and waited for the next school bus (or any bus really).  Soon one turned up and I was surprised to find I was the only passenger.  I soon discovered why - the driver had just come from the depot...and it was his first day on the job.....and he had NO idea where he was supposed to go!  So he asked me....and I had no idea either.  Talk about the blind leading the blind.

It was a school bus but no one else boarded it.  The driver didn't take my fare, he drove me straight to my school and off I got.  Decades later I still wonder sometimes what he did next, because he hadn't a clue (or even a map). 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply