Catering, Assistance Required re Amounts please

It is my FIL's 87th birthday next week and I am organising a luncheon, finger food only, numbers are a bit hazy at this stage. For my own sanity I have decided to order a cake, make gluten free cupcakes to go with it and order platters from the deli. and also a supply of homemade chicken sausage rolls.

There will be 24 for certain and perhaps another 12 to 16 guests, plus some nursing home staff will pop in for a bit.

How many items of savoury food per person?

I don't mind if food is left over.

Thanks for any advice offered, will check back in the morning as it's bedtime!

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

hmmm...so you could have anywhere up to around 50?

when I organised a couple of functions, the general rule given to me by the caterers for nibblies was 3 per person for cocktails and 5 to 7 per person for a lunch, depending on their size. As at a lunch everyone should be feeling full...but if you have people maybe dropping in, that makes it a bit harder.

think also about how you make your own things, would the size by generous or mini-mini? How many would make you and your family members feel satisfied 🙂 ? As only you will know the size of your homemade items.

the deli will be able to suggest the size and number of platters from them, based on the numbers too. I'd give them a call or go in to look and ask them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

Azureline, as for the platters then the deli that you are ordering from will be able to give you an idea if you tell them the numbers.  If you let them know that it's up to 40 then they would know what you need.

It's difficult with those numbers but I would say 60 sausage rolls.  Some will have more than one and some won't eat any.  

When the food is laid out, just do it gradually in case you have late arrivals such as nursing staff.  Also, that way left overs won't be just sitting around.

Joono

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

if the sandwiches are on cocktail buns,go with joono's same numbers as the sausage rolls,since you're okay with leftovers.

and she has a good point about putting it out gradually.

amber has a good point too,how big are the sausage rolls,and how much does your family eat at lunch normally? 

will you have sides,like crisps and dip? maybe crudites and dip? 

it's really nice of you to do this,and to feed the staff too! 🙂

oh,one thing about the sandwiches. you might want to ask for condiments on the side so people can add things like mayo or mustard themselves. not everyone eats those,and it would keep the bread from going soggy.

taste my religion! nibble a witch! 😄

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

hmmm...so you could have anywhere up to around 50?

when I organised a couple of functions, the general rule given to me by the caterers for nibblies was 3 per person for cocktails and 5 to 7 per person for a lunch, depending on their size. As at a lunch everyone should be feeling full...but if you have people maybe dropping in, that makes it a bit harder.

think also about how you make your own things, would the size by generous or mini-mini? How many would make you and your family members feel satisfied 🙂 ? As only you will know the size of your homemade items.

the deli will be able to suggest the size and number of platters from them, based on the numbers too. I'd give them a call or go in to look and ask them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

Azureline, as for the platters then the deli that you are ordering from will be able to give you an idea if you tell them the numbers.  If you let them know that it's up to 40 then they would know what you need.

It's difficult with those numbers but I would say 60 sausage rolls.  Some will have more than one and some won't eat any.  

When the food is laid out, just do it gradually in case you have late arrivals such as nursing staff.  Also, that way left overs won't be just sitting around.

Joono
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

does the deli premake the sanwiches for you,or are you going self serve?

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you.
Deli is pre making.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

if the sandwiches are on cocktail buns,go with joono's same numbers as the sausage rolls,since you're okay with leftovers.

and she has a good point about putting it out gradually.

amber has a good point too,how big are the sausage rolls,and how much does your family eat at lunch normally? 

will you have sides,like crisps and dip? maybe crudites and dip? 

it's really nice of you to do this,and to feed the staff too! 🙂

oh,one thing about the sandwiches. you might want to ask for condiments on the side so people can add things like mayo or mustard themselves. not everyone eats those,and it would keep the bread from going soggy.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply