Christmas in Melbourne

Exhausted myself walking  around yesterday as we went by train into the city to see the Myer windows and any other decorations. Four of the grandkids had a curriculum day so we thought a Monday might be a good day to do it.

The shop windows are done up in a different Christmas theme each year and are a bit of a tradition in Melbourne .

It was a 45 wait in the queue and apparently that is much shorter than last year, where my daughter waited 2 1/2 hours.

It was okay, the lines are very strictly regulated along the lines of the airline check in queues. You weave back and forth along the lines till you hit the front. Not many are in front at a time so you get a good view.

For adults, I would say that just passing along the street would be the best option. In the past, people just stacked up behind each other and it was hard to see but now you get a very good view even if just walking by at the back.

Not all the city lights etc are up and working yet, but we saw enough. 

Strangely, I'd say the most popular activity wasn't the windows at all. After them, we went to the top floor in Myer, where there were tables and colouring supplies and sheets. The girls liked those while the 2 boys browsed the lego. With satisfactory results as far as they are concerned. Put it this way, Christmas sorted for them!😁

Here are some of the photos. Bluey theme this year.

Last photo is tree in Fereration Square, opposite Flinders St station.

20 nov faces gone sm.png20 nov bluey.jpg400216288_306456322269247_4380810494372687852_n.jpg403980306_10161472693104122_7395116410166068827_n (1).jpgfaces sm.png

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Christmas in Melbourne

Thanks for sharing springyzone , glad the kiddo`s had lots of fun!

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Christmas in Melbourne

Excellent photos! It must have been fun for the kids.

We drove in to Melbourne Central last Friday to meet up with other family members, and afterwards wandered around a bit. Not as much as I’d have liked, given the pain from my compressed nerves, but … enough.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Christmas in Melbourne

Thank you springyzone .. beautiful pictures and it's wonderful to see all those decorations.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Christmas in Melbourne

I remember going to Melbourne when I was much younger, possibly late teens, and seeing the window displays. It was such a treat! I was in awe of what I was seeing. So much work went into them, I wanted to live in the windows! It was a big hit back then, I can only imagine how much it's grown since.

That tree looks amazing too. Wish we had something like that. We got a new tree locally last year. What an embarrassment. A $45,000 tree, that looked worse than something you'd get from the $2 shop. Everyone hated it, except the local councillors who thought it a great idea to have this plastic monstrosity. Even visitors to town commented on what a joke it was. It was so cheap and nasty, that what were supposed to be the balls, had pretty much cracked and broken before it was dismantled, not to mention most of the colours faded. I think it will be all out war if it goes up again this year.

Thanks for sharing the photos! I'm glad you all had a good time.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Christmas in Melbourne

S&D, I wish you had taken a photo of it.😄

That would have been fun to see!

Mind you, I wasn't happy with the tree in Fed Square but I am hoping it is not going to stay that way, surely, with all the fencing around it etc

The tree itself is fine, it is just the bottom of it that doesn't look much good at present.

Apparently a lot of lights are up but won't be switched on till the end of the month so maybe not everything is finished yet.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply