Consumers 'pay free-range egg premium for taste, not animal welfare'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-17/consumers-pay-free-range-egg-premium-for-taste/8533068

If thats true, most people are buying 'free range eggs' because they think they look better and taste better, not because the chickens have better life, thats sad.

i buy free range eggs only for the reason that i hope the chickens are living a better life than chickens in tiny cages.

taste and looks really are not in my mins at all, but i suspect if free range eggs tasted carp i wouldnt buy then.

and who cares how an egg looks, you dont eat the shell!  ok, well i dont, sorry for all the shell eaters out there.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Well, we know where the buck buck stops with them

And..................................well....................(sounds like) them 

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Isn't this the reason the eggs not only taste better - have a better colour etc etc etc.

Stop & think - people will answer a question - not form a whole new one.

If asked why do you buy these eggs - the answer is they taste better.

I only buy free range - does the chooks good.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I buy Free Range Eggs because of the conditions the hens live in. I have seen caged hens and stopped buying eggs for a while because it made me physically ill just thinking of the chickens conditions.

Now I buy Free Range from a chicken farm that is not very far from us. Our Supermarket also sells their eggs. It is great to see hundreds of chickens roaming in a large paddock, looking healthy and foraging for grubs and worms as well as having their daily pellets and fresh water by their nesting building.

I think most of the answers those surveys got are from people who have never seen or heard of the conditions of Battery Hens.

I used to work in our local Historical Village where lots of School children from the city visited. One day I was milking a cow when a boy asked what I was doing. When I told him that is where all the milk cones from, he gagged and saidl "I thought milk was made in a Factory. Yuck, I'll never drink Milk again!"

And don't let me tell you what some kids said when they saw a chicken laying an egg.

So much for knowledge where our food comes from.

Erica

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Very very sad, and surprising to me too.

I only buy free range, and because of the chickens.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Cant see what real prob is    ...as long as they are buying free range eggs they are not buying eggs from battery hens   ......

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

bty most of the chooks are here are moulting and not producing eggs, surely the free range egg farmers would have the same prob with their chooks?

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply