Covid has been declared 'endemic' in some countries so should it be covered by 'normal' insurance ?

Most travel insurance policies exclude 'epidemic' and 'pandemic' cover.

Many are now charging an extra arm and a leg for Covid cover.

So....if the country I am visiting has declared Covid-19 as 'endemic'

( much the same as the flu ) should normal ( cheaper ) insurance

cover Covid ( because it is no longer epidemic or pandemic )??
If you went down with the flu you would be covered ( without

having to be on a special premium plan ).

Maybe individual government decisions don't affect insurance.

No clue just a desire to cancel my expensive travel insurance

and buy much cheaper cover. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cosmologically speaking we are all little more than a bacterial film on a soft rock hurtling through an unimaginable void.
Don't take it all too seriously.
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Covid has been declared 'endemic' in some countries so should it be covered by 'normal' insurance ?

because of potential inconsistent country response to COVID-19, and potential for inconsistent government classification for COVID-19, I think the only thing that matters with regard to travel insurance is how the insurer classifies COVID-19. 

Check the policy as new policies should have a COVID-19 specific clause regardless of which country you intend to travel to.

Nobody here can give you legally binding advice, just their opinion.

Be vigilant . . . and safe travels.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I read the pds thoroughly. If the WHO downgrades Covid to 'endemic' globally then I might

have a chance of cheaper insurance in September.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cosmologically speaking we are all little more than a bacterial film on a soft rock hurtling through an unimaginable void.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

That's a really great question but as K1000 said, all that matters is how the insurer views it and what is in the policy.

In my opinion, it is a question though where eventually governments may need to intervene.

We have been told we can travel. We have been told having the vaccine makes us much less likely to end up in hospital  or dead from covid (and statistics are backing that up). Our government stepped in and virtually mandated the vaccine for many workers.

Time for the government to put money where the mouth is. No insurer should be legally allowed to exclude covid from cover (IMO) once it is not classed as a worldwide pandemic and once people have up to date vaccination.

For that to happen, I suspect we may have to have WHO classify it down from a pandemic to endemic or whatever and I can't see it happening all that soon.

One other thing I read that does ring some alarm bells is suggestions were being passed around in the cruising industry and one was no one over 70 could go on a cruise if they had any underlying conditions at all.

I realise those people are a higher risk but it seems to me that age discrimination is one of the last types of discrimination that companies can legally get away with.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Great input good people.
We are both in the 70+ group so travel insurance will eventually scream out
"Time to see more of Australia or go broke getting on a plane."

The wording in all insurance policies specifically excludes cover for 'epidemic' and 'pandemic'

so in theory after Covid has been classified ( by the WHO ) as 'endemic' any denial of Covid claims

under a normal insurance policy would be a breach of contract.
Early days as the last time insurance companies would have had to come up with the likes of Covid cover was 100 years ago. There are most likely going to be a lot of applications for travel insurance refunds with a great many travellers coming out in front.
In our case we forked out $550.00 ( for a 7 day trip ) with the non-covid cover equivalent being heaps less.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

In theory this would only classify as covered if - if - the insurcance contract was signed after the reclassification.

And if travelling overseas - you would not be covered in countries DFAT has a warning on ' Do Not Travel '.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply