Debate - rolling competition - would it be of interest?

Along the lines of the Image Caption and the Music Theme competitions, would anyone be interested in a debate competition?

I envisage it as a topic being chosen by that week's winner, as well as a "side" of the topic, and those posting would treat it along the lines of a debate. It wouldn't be a matter of arguing for one's  own opinion, because the side is arbitrary (just as when one's flung into a debating side). There'd have to be a word limit (to avoid scrollers such as those of which I have all too frequently been guilty). It would be a test of arguing a particular point, even if it's one with which the poster doesn't agree - purely for the enjoyment, challenge and skill.

People would vote for their favourite argument, irresepective of whether or not they agreed with the substance of the argument (I hope I'm making sense...), and that winner would then set the next topic and "side". (If they wanted, they could set the same topic but with a different "side", I imagine.)

Would this appeal?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I wouldn't mind it myself but I can see it being a lot less intuitive than, say, the image caption or music theme competitions. or wordle etc.

So I am not sure how many would want to jump in but I guess we'll see.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Why not begin an ' argument ' - with the set ' rules ' affirmative or negative - see where it goes.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply