Does anyone here know anything about that drug nurofen? and hair loss

I had an abscess on 2 teeth was in so much pain my son told me to take some nurofen I don't take panadol killers or anything really but I did because I could not stand the pain.

The first thing I throw out are instructions so did not read them, I took in 1 day 8 nurofen and 6 panadol

The next day my face was like the elephant mans and a week later my hair was coming out in batches,

it still is so I am getting a bit worried.

Just thought someone here may have had a problem like this and might know how to fix it.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

lis351
Community Member

First stop would be the Dr.

In any case, the pharmacist should have warned you not to exceed the dosage and certainly not to mix it with Panadol. Aside from that, it sounds to me like you are allergic to a component of the nurofen or had a reaction to mixing the two.

But Im not a Dr.

Message 2 of 59
Latest reply

even tho you took double the recommended dose , it would be more likly to be a reaction to the drugs i would recommend a trip to the drs to make sure there is no other underlying problem that is not related to the drugs

Photobucket
Message 3 of 59
Latest reply

Usually there is a maximum of 6 painkillers a day isn't there? You took 14?

Message 4 of 59
Latest reply

Have the tooth infections been treated now (with antibiotics or dentistry)? (very painful indeed).

If not, could the face swelling be connected to the infected teeth?

Message 5 of 59
Latest reply

The teeth infections have been treated, I lost them.

I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow because my sister is worried, she is a hairdresser.

The chemist just asked if I was allergic to anything to which I said no and he just gave them to me he is a friend and has since apologized for not warning me.

Message 6 of 59
Latest reply

I would guess it is stress. Obviously you will see the doctor though.

As for panadol and nurofen together, doctors recommend this combination to bring down fever in babies and children, quickly. So I can't see a problem with that, other than you took too much.

Message 7 of 59
Latest reply

nah, we often get told to take a combination of nurofen and panadol cos one is an anti inflammatory and one is a sedative (I think is the reasoning)

can't remember the instructions - but it is something like panadol every 4 hours and nurofen every 6 hours.

The doctor will often increase the dosage that is recommended on the side of the box - I'm guessing it isn't a big deal in most circumstances if only done short term and under their guidance.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 59
Latest reply

The teeth were extracted? Did the swelling start after that? 

Message 9 of 59
Latest reply

ive been given tramadol , valium & panadol all at once so even with what you took  i cant see it being the drugs unless you are allergic to some part of them & then hairloss is not one side efect that i have heard of.

but as a long term taker of pain killers it might explain why im goin bald;-)

Photobucket
Message 10 of 59
Latest reply