Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip has Passed

7 REPLIES 7

99 and on his way back to the pavilion; so close to the ton.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I liked him, he was quite a character. I'll never forget the balcony scene when he clearly did a bottom burp and had the family in raptures. 

RIP

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Rest in Peace - Philip - Duke of Edinburgh.

Known for his wicked sense of humour & his ' gaffes ' - Forth Bridge.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Best Prince Philip quote.... I have been tossing up between these gems... but it's very hard to decide.. he was just too prolific

To then Paraguay dictator General Stroessner: “It’s a pleasure to be in a country that isn’t ruled by its people.”

To Scottish driving instructor, 1995: “How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?”

When offered wine in Rome in 2000, he snapped: “I don’t care what kind it is, just get me a beer!”

On seeing a piezo-meter water gauge in Australia: “A pissometer?”

At a Bangladeshi youth club in 2002: “So who’s on drugs here?... HE looks as if he’s on drugs.”

To Aboriginal leader William Brin, Queensland, 2002: “Do you still throw spears at each other?

To a professional photographer at the RAF club "just take the f****** picture"

but then I remembered this gem from 1960

To the General Dental Council : “Dontopedalogy is the science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it, which I’ve practised for many years.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

He had to curb a lot of his naturally authoritative character traits in the role of prince consort. It must have chafed him to be awarded his own ship, his own command - and then to be obliged to give it up because his wife was to be crowned Queen. Of course he'd always have known that it would happen one day; it came sooner than expected.

An interesting man... He definitely had a quirky personality. I am so sorry for the Queen; she's relied on his presence by her side for 73 years, and the loss of one's loved one hurts intolerably. There's really no comfort to be found (initially at least) in "Oh, but he had a good innings... 99! That's a good age."

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I thought it was sad news though I suppose not totally unexpected as the poor man had been quite ill lately.

Definitely the end of an era though. I always liked him, I think he was quirky and a lot of his comments that people took badly were probably just his version of humour or him being bluntly honest.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Agreed, I always thought he was pretty down to earth. State occasions and stuff were different of course, but other times he just seem to be 'himself' with no frills so to speak.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply